ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Proxie File question in Adobe Premire update

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce MooseProxie File question in Adobe Premire update
by on Jun 21, 2016 at 11:32:43 pm

Hello,

I'm very excited about the Proxie files in the updated premiere version. I was curious about a few things.

1. Can I use Prelude and add metadeta and then import into premeire and create proxies without the metadeta going away? So far it goes away once I make proxies.

2. Is it true that AVCHD reduces quality everytime it renders? if so should I then be using the Proxie feature to switch to prelude Proxy to edit?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Trent HappelRe: Proxie File question in Adobe Premire update
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 12:14:23 am

In 2015.3, Premiere does not currently support the metadata from the Proxy clip. It will only read metadata from the Full Res clip.

AVCHD is a compressed format, so yes, it will reduce quality each time you render/export. With the Proxy feature, the encoded Proxy is an attached clip, so you can still switch (Toggle Proxies) to your Full Res clip that has no quality loss.

Here is some more info on the Proxy workflow in 2015.3:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/proxy-workflow.html
http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/now-live-the-latest-update-of-premiere...
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/proxy-media.html?scid=social629...

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Bryce MooseRe: Proxie File question in Adobe Premire update
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 12:32:03 am

Well that's interesting. I just imported a clip from prelude with metedata comments and it is still there after i make a proxy in premiere. The odd thing is the file isn't changing. When I make a proxy I still see .MTS extension rather than .mov extension even when the Proxy is connected. Is that supposed to be the case?

Bryce

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2016 at 1:28:39 am

If I read this correctly, it sounds like you imported the clip from Prelude and then created Proxy from that Prelude clip? If so, then the Prelude clip is your Full Res clip and metadata is kept from Full Res clips. Adding different metadata to the Proxy clip is not currently supported.

When you attach Proxy, Premiere will still continue to base the clip off of the Full Res. This includes keeping the Full Res clip name, extension, etc. The only two places you will currently see Proxy information is in Properties and the Info panel.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Bryce MooseRe: Proxie File question in Adobe Premire update
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 2:50:54 am

Is it possible to even use after effects at all if I have made a proxy file in Premiere?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Matt DunneRe: Proxie File question in Adobe Premire update
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 2:38:36 pm

I was just reading about this and it says that the proxy workflow isn't compatible with After Effects so you can't dynamic link. Although I'm not sure why you would want to use a proxy that's a smaller frame size than your original media. It seems like you would be setting yourself up for a headache.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the new proxy workflow but I don't see the advantage of having the software handle it for you, maybe I'm missing something.

I can't make full resolution frame sizes through the ingest function and when I attempted to create my own preset I didn't see an option for codec/frame size. To avoid headaches I usually leave the frame size the same and just transcode to a lighter format.

It seems to me it's easier to just continue making proxies through a transcode preset in Media Encoder or Resolve and then maybe use the "attach proxy" function to handle the switching back and forth.

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2016 at 3:09:14 pm

Proxy allows for a number of workflows and transcoding via AME or other application to create Proxies, then use Attach Proxies in Premiere, is a valid workflow.

Create Proxies is another workflow to allow creation and automatic attachment of Proxy. To create a Proxy preset, you will first need to create an Encoding preset in AME (caveat is that you cannot use Match Source for Height/Width and Frame Rate - you can only set one of these parameters to Match Source. All other parameters can be set to Match Source). Then create an Ingest preset and in the Preset Settings, use your Encoding preset for the Format and Preset (in the 'Transcode files to Destination' section. In Premiere, click the Add Ingest Preset button in Ingest Settings or Create Proxies dialog and select your custom preset.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Dan GellerRe: Proxie File question in Adobe Premire update
by on Jun 27, 2016 at 3:45:57 pm

When doing as you suggest, the Create Proxies pulldown flips to Transcode. There appears to be a known issue with adding custom Ingest Presets created in AME to Premiere - it won't permit using those Ingest Presets for Proxy Creation in the Ingest Dialog, only Transcoding.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 4:03:19 pm

I've experienced this as well. It seems crazy that I can't create custom proxies. I don't want to have low rez files when working with 4K just a lighter codec. If I'm working in a 1080p timeline and I use all that extra space to push around the image doing so on a clip that is 1024*540 is going to look terrible and when the client sees it I don't want to have to explain why.

I guess I'll continue using the online/offline process I'm used to until we can use this new feature with custom presets.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 6:46:34 pm

There is a known limitation for Ingest presets for Create Proxies. You cannot have the Frame Size (Width/Height) and Frame Rate both set to Match Source. You can only set one to Match Source if you want the preset to be compatible for Create Proxies. The other parameters (Field Order, Aspect) can all be set to Match Source for Create Proxies.

If you set Frame Size and Frame Rate both to Match Source, then the Ingest preset can only be used for Transcode in Ingest Settings (when you import the preset, it will automatically set to Transcode, as you have seen)

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 8:37:03 pm

Trent,
Even deselecting the matches and creating alternative Frame Size or Frame Rate doesn't help. I tried it and the app still flips to transcode.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 8:44:12 pm

That is odd. Would it be possible to attach your Ingest preset or provide a screenshots of your Encoding Preset video settings and your Ingest Preset Settings? Thank you.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 8:48:53 pm

ooops, if you attach your Ingest preset, I will also need your Encoding preset. Thanks.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 8:56:12 pm

Trent,
I'll do that. Do you want to have me email them to you?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 9:06:17 pm

I think the File Upload will work? If not, perhaps something like Dropbox? Company email tends to block email attachments.

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 9:13:09 pm

Trent - Here they are.
10236_trentingest.epr.zip
and
10237_trentencodecineformlutedyuv10bit.epr.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 9:17:42 pm

And now I'm puzzled, because that pair of epr's did just work for me. I think there may have been something with my overwriting settings on presets I made - rather than starting from scratch with new preset names. See if these work for you, too. If so, then we may be good to go!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 9:26:48 pm

The presets you provided also work for me. Yay!

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2016 at 4:08:54 pm

Well we've had more time to sit down and take a look at the proxy workflow. Hate to say it but it is pretty nice. What I didn't realize is that Premiere does use the original media to export the file even if the proxy preview is toggled on. Hoping someone on the Adobe team can confirm but it seems to be the case.

Anyways, nice job Adobe.

Return to posts index

Bill LattanziRe: Proxie File question in Adobe Premire update
by on Nov 18, 2016 at 3:02:58 pm

Hi - I have a basic question. I'm trying to create proxies for GH4 4K footage. It's 4096x2160. So I think I want proxies that are 1/3 the size: 1365x720. No preset in Premiere CC 2015.3 for this. So I learn I can create a custom ingest setting in AME. The instructions tell me to name it. I do so. But I see nowhere on the New Preset Menu to enter the file size setting I'm after. How do I set the file size? Thanks.
Bill

Return to posts index

Bill LattanziRe: Proxie File question in Adobe Premire update
by on Nov 18, 2016 at 3:53:38 pm

Hi - Okay, I figured out from another tutorial that it's necessary to create the proxy in Create New Encoding Preset. But now I have the same problem as your previous posters. PR is reading the ingest preset as an encoding preset and will not accept. It seems maybe you customized an existing preset to get it to work.... did you rename and 'save as'? Or how did you do it? Thanks!
Bill

Return to posts index

by on Nov 18, 2016 at 5:00:09 pm

Hey Bill, you have to create the encoding preset first. Then right click on it and hit "Create Ingest Preset". When that dialogue window appears it gets a little confusing. Click on the "Transcode files to Destination" and change the format to whatever your encode preset is set to. For instance if you made the encode preset a pro res proxy file you'll change the "FORMAT" to QuickTime and then navigate down to "PRESET". There you should see whatever you named your encode preset.

Let me know if that solves it.

-editor of things

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]