ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How best to handle huge DNxHR 4K files: Is proxy a solution?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander FreedmanHow best to handle huge DNxHR 4K files: Is proxy a solution?
by on Jun 21, 2016 at 6:27:46 pm

Hey guys,

I do wedding films on the side and just built an amazing PC with SSDs that let me edit in full resolution DNxHR 4K with no lag in Premiere Pro CC. It's all silky smooth.

Here's my problem: When converting my Panasonic GH4 h.264 original 4k files to DNxHR (SQ) 4K (because I'm under the impression that DNx is the PC version of ProRes), about 200GB of h.264 files balloons to more than 1TB! My internal media SSD is 1TB (clearly, I miscalculated how much space I'd need), so I end up putting some footage on random slow external HDDs I have.

I get it, 4K is huge, DNx is huge - but I was curious how you all handle all that footage? Do you really just shell out a small fortune in SSDs (Around $1,000 just for a Samsung 2TB SSD)? Are you running a fast external USB 3.0 HDD with a RAID configuration? I'm sure there's a wonderful network/rack of 20HDDs that would make a great solution but that would definitely be out of my price range haha.

Sure, I could convert them all down to 1080p instead of 4K to save space, but that takes away the whole reason for shooting in 4k - the ability to scale and reframe a shot in post. As a run-and-gun shooter, reframing 4k in post can turn a terrible shot into a great one.

With the latest release of Adobe CC and, it seems, their push toward easy proxy making... I wonder if it's worth going back to some kind of DNx proxy? *shudder*

Thanks for any brainstorming you can offer!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: How best to handle huge DNxHR 4K files: Is proxy a solution?
by on Jun 21, 2016 at 7:29:02 pm

[Alexander Freedman] "I get it, 4K is huge, DNx is huge - but I was curious how you all handle all that footage?"

I got a 10 TB RAID over thunderbolt. Files are getting bigger but storage is getting cheaper.

Return to posts index

Alexander FreedmanRe: How best to handle huge DNxHR 4K files: Is proxy a solution?
by on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:04:21 pm

Thanks for the info, Tero!

Yeah, it looks like a nice external RAID would be the most cost effective choice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]