ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Can I work on 4K footage on my consumer PC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenCan I work on 4K footage on my consumer PC
by on Jun 20, 2016 at 1:47:38 am

Yes, it's Duke Sweden and his infamous consumer PC problems again. Actually I just want to know if I can work on 4K footage from a Panasonic G7. I tried downloading 4K sample footage (not necessarily from a G7). It plays horribly in VLC (it's h265 footage, I know) but it doesn't even show up in media browser when I try to import it into Premiere Pro. I downloaded a zip file with a 4K file and PPro project, the project opens, the files show up, but they look terrible and don't play OR scrub in the timeline.

Does that mean my graphics are not capable of dealing with 4K? Youtube 4k files play fine but that doesn't mean anything. Who knows what youtube does to 4k, but vimeo also plays fine. It's only actual files on my PC that don't behave.

Anyway, as is my custom, I present my question in a nutshell. Panasonic G7 4k. Editable on an i5 dual core consumer PC with integrated Intel graphics card?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Can I work on 4K footage on my consumer PC
by on Jun 20, 2016 at 4:07:26 am

Well if the sample files don't run then probably they won't work nicely. You could try transcoding them to DNxHR which would take the load off the GPU but the files will take more space. Or you could try dropping the playback quality and see if that would help.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Can I work on 4K footage on my consumer PC
by on Jun 20, 2016 at 11:39:48 am

Hi Tero. Turns out those 4K sample videos I downloaded were h265. I got caught up in discussion with some guys in the dpreview message board and learned that the G7 uses h264, so I found some actual G7 footage and it plays and edits very nicely, better almost than the ProRes footage did.

I pulled the trigger and bought the G7, then got cold feet and cancelled the order. I don't want to go through another Ninja 2 episode again so I'm going to carefully consider my purchase this time. I'd hate to buy it, sell my D5500, then regret it.

Thanks for responding!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]