ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

matte painting looks static

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oliver jonesmatte painting looks static
by on Jun 18, 2016 at 11:42:06 am

Hello all, my first post to this forum (long time lurker though) :)

My question is this:

A friend and I are working on a small hobby/scifi project.

We want to combine 2 shots: our live action with actors AND a matte painting my friend made in Photoshop. Combining the two in Premiere is no problem. It looks ok I guess, but there is something wrong with the matte painting: it looks static. I hope that makes sense (English is not my first language).

Normally, a matte painting is a glass painting, that is filmed with a filmcamera at 24 fps. But ours, is of course a computer drawing. So, it appears as a still. It looks like you pushed the pause button on your DVD.

Is there any way to make it look like it was filmed? I tried panning and zooming, to give it the illusion of movement, but that just looks like you zoom in on a still frame. I gave it a bit film grain and noise, but that doesn't work either.

We where thinking of printing the picture on big paper, and filming it, but that would look like crap :)

Thanks, and I hope it makes sense!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: matte painting looks static
by on Jun 19, 2016 at 12:35:48 pm

If you put grain on the matte, you've done all you can. I don't know what's in the matte image, but perhaps you could put some motion into parts of it. Then you enter the realm of effects work, which takes planning and not guesswork.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: matte painting looks static
by on Jun 19, 2016 at 3:27:21 pm

I ran into this youtube tutorial yesterday. It might or might not be of help but could give you some ideas.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: matte painting looks static
by on Jun 19, 2016 at 7:59:44 pm

You'll need to comp and blend the different layers in. Add some grain. Maybe add some lens blur to fake depth of field.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: matte painting looks static
by on Jun 20, 2016 at 1:18:45 pm

All of the above a good suggestions.

The other thing you are battling against is the reality that you know it is a still. Others may not see it the way you do.

With that said, various techniques to help "sell" the shot have the potential to make it more realistic. Movement/action in background, inserts in windows, etc.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

oliver jonesRe: matte painting looks static
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 5:11:10 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll try experimenting with grain and add some pan/zoom.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]