ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Exporting issues / questions

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan cohenExporting issues / questions
by on Jun 18, 2016 at 4:00:08 am

Hi,

The project I’m working on is a 4k video, primarily for online viewing. It’s 3.5 hours long and shall approximately be 70 gb in size. Due to the length of the video, I’ve split it into multiple segments while editing it on Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 version 9.2 (41) build.

The first segment clocks at 24 minutes. This export segment as well as all the other export segments making up the video are composed of multiple, relatively short segments. Almost all of them shall have the following effects added to them:

- 3 way colour corrector
- Unsharp mask
- Neat Video V4 noise reduction plugin
- ProDad Mercalli 2.0 UI image stabilization plugin

My export settings through Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015.2 (9.2.0.26) were:
- Format = H.264
- Custom Youtube Preset of 4K 2160P
- Output and source settings match at 3840x2160 (1) 29.97 fps progressive
- VBR 2 Pass, target 45 mbps, max 45 mbps
- Audio quality = high
- AAC 320 kbr, 48 khz, stereo
- ‘Use maximum render quality’ selected
- ‘render at maximum depth’ selected’
- Profile = high
- Level = 5.2
- Renderer = Mercury Playback engine GPU acceleration (CUDA)

I’m running Windows 8.1 64 bit on the following system:
- Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ Processor (6MB L3 Cache, 2.60GHz)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory
- 32GB Kingston HyperX CL9 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
- 512GB Micron M600 M.2 SSD – Drive I’m exporting to (170 gb free space)
- My system’s power plan is set to high performance.

Since the video is 4k, combining multiple machine intensive effects and exported using maximum quality settings, I was expecting the export time to be long.
However, I wasn’t expecting it to be as long as it actually was.
The 24 minute video took OVER 40 HOURS to export!!!
I then proceeded to export the next segment which was slightly shorter at 20 minutes. That segment has taken over 50 HOURS to export!!!!!!

Naturally I said to myself WTF???

With the system I have, is the time it took to export these segments reasonable or is there a problem with my system / Premiere Pro settings? Suggestions to improve exporting performance?

My other question is as follows:
Once I’ve managed to export these 20-25 minute long segments, I’ll need to join them together to form my full 3.5 hour long video. These segments shall all be post exported in mp4 format. If I import them all to a new Adobe Premiere Pro project, add them one after the other on the timeline and export this new video using the same export settings I’ve used to export the individual segments, will the newly combined video in mp4 format lose some quality, i.e will Premiere Pro/Media Encoder compress the video again?

If that’s the case, does anyone have a suggestion regarding a solution to this? Is there another program that can combine multiple large mp4 files together without loss of quality should Adobe Premiere Pro/Media Encoder not be able to do so?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Exporting issues / questions
by on Jun 20, 2016 at 1:24:13 pm

Not surprising that you are getting those times.

Some of the effects you are using are VERY processor intensive, and there is just no way around that.

Are you scaling any footage? If you aren't scaling, there's little reason to have "maximum render quality" checked. Though I admit, your image stabilization might benefit. Someone else will speak up on that,hopefully.

Is your footage 10-bit color? If only 8-bit, there's little reason to have "maximum depth" selected.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

jonathan cohenRe: Exporting issues / questions
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 5:44:16 pm

My original video files are 8 bit 4:2:0.

In that case, in which situations is it recommended to enable the 'maximum depth' + 'maximum render quality' options?

How much of a boost in quality do 2 VBR passes have over 1 pass?

Will I/the viewers notice a difference in quality? Will the end result of the Neat Video noise reduction plugin be worse should the settings mentioned be un-selected?

My primary concern is a noticeable reduction in video playback quality. The exporting times are a nuisance but a secondary concern (as long as is doesn't crash my system which it hasn't so far).

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Exporting issues / questions
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 4:09:00 pm

[jonathan cohen] "Is there another program that can combine multiple large mp4 files together without loss of quality"

MP4box

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]