ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Question about calibrating iMac screen for Adobe programs

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mayka MackQuestion about calibrating iMac screen for Adobe programs
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 4:30:50 pm
Last Edited By Mayka Mack on Jun 17, 2016 at 4:49:27 pm

I'm gonna put this in the PPro forum because that's the program I'm most interested in calibrating my monitor for.

So I recently bought an i1 Display Pro to calibrate my 2014 retina iMac. I'm running the newest version of El Capitan and using the most recent version of all the CC 2015 apps. I used this guide to make a monitor profile:
http://www.damiensymonds.net/cal_i1DP_mac.html

I followed the instructions to the letter except for part 6 where you have the option to save the profile as "User Level" or "System Level." I saved the profile as "User Level" because it said I did not have permission to write to "System Level" and it was greyed out. Otherwise, I followed that tutorial exactly.

I've noticed that other than Adobe programs, every program on my computer is respecting the profile, but it's almost like Adobe is ignoring it? I know a lot of Adobe applications aren't color managed but I guess I thought a monitor profile was a system-wide thing, so can someone educate me here?

Like when I go into the Mac's system preferences and switch between profiles, Premiere Pro kind of bounces? Like the screen contrast looks like it changes for a second and then it bounces back.

My calibrated profile is so similar to the default that it's hard to see, so I tried setting my monitor to a profile woefully inappropriate for it to better demonstrate what I am talking about here.

Here is Photoshop (top left), After Effects (top right), and VLC (bottom) with my default iMac monitor profile (uncalibrated):

Now here they are again with a profile inadequate for my monitor. VLC respects the new profile but it looks like Photoshop is... making it even darker than the profile I have selected? And every other Adobe program (After Effects, Premiere Pro, Audition, etc), is making it look as if I'm using my default monitor profile and just completely ignoring it?

So am I doing something wrong here, or is it impossible to color in Adobe programs using anything other than the hardware default monitor profile? I'm just honestly so confused @_@

Return to posts index

Frimann KjerulfRe: Question about calibrating iMac screen for Adobe programs
by on Jun 25, 2016 at 4:39:32 pm

Hi there

I'm running into the exact same issue. Calibrating works fine in general, and switching profiles has an overall system video effect, except in the video layer in Premiere.

I tried playing videos in Quicktime, and the profile has the same affect on that as it does system wide. But the video layer in Premiere always stays the same, no matter what profile I use. I assume that it's something about Premiere writing the video layer directly to the display output, bypassing any OS-related profiles.

Did you find any solution to this? This is making it impossible for me to calibrate my display.

I'm using a Hackint0sh running El Capitan, and my video card is AMD Radeon HD6850, if that makes any difference.

Regards
Frímann

Regards
Frimann Kjerulf

Return to posts index

Frimann KjerulfRe: Question about calibrating iMac screen for Adobe programs
by on Jun 25, 2016 at 5:45:50 pm

Hi

I seem to be mistaken. The calibration I do actually DOES have an affect on the video output from Premiere. It's a bit confusing though.

I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm using a NEC Spectraview LCD2690WUXi display with a programmable color LUT (look up table).

So when I do a calibration I can see a difference in Premiere based on what settings I put in the Spectraview calibration software (software for this monitor made by NEC). Spectra view also saves a system color profile (on my mac). So it's definitely working I'd say.

I'm not getting 100% what's happening here, but I assume everything is ok for now, for me at least.

But in your case I'm not sure what might be the problem. I'd recommend for you to try to do two different calibrations and see if there is a difference (might be smart to take a picture of the screen with manual exposure/iso/aparture to see the difference).

Would be interesting to hear if anyone has an explanation to this.

Good luck!
Frímann

Regards
Frimann Kjerulf

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]