ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Frame blending resulting in a darkened image

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier BonetFrame blending resulting in a darkened image
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 9:47:43 am

Hi, I've just got a new Macbook Pro (I was using a PC) and have installed Adobe CC on it. I was starting my normal workflow, but this time on the new computer, and when it got to having to speed up some footage and use the frame blending setting in order to get nice blurry movement, my footage suddenly got darker; much darker. I tried rendering, and the same thing happened. I tried with several sources and the same thing is happening. I've never had this issue, and I can't seem to find anyone else online who's having it... Am I the only one? Is there something I'm missing or has the frame blending tool been changed since I last updated CC on my PC?
Here's what's happening:

The first frame is the sped-up footage but with default frame sampling selected. And that second one is using frame blend...
I would appreciate any input on this issue! I've got to get a video out in less than 3 hours and it relies a lot on sped-up footage with the frame blending on!
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Frame blending resulting in a darkened image
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 10:05:55 am

Try turning your Mercury Playback setting to software in Project settings.

Return to posts index

Xavier BonetRe: Frame blending resulting in a darkened image
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 10:21:30 am

Hi, Tero Ahlfors, thanks for your reply.

[Tero Ahlfors] "Try turning your Mercury Playback setting to software in Project settings."

Well, this seems to have solved the problem of my clips darkening. But won't that dramatically slow down my final rendering?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2016 at 10:23:36 am

Mmmm... as I feared: to render a 4 second clip is taking me about 8 minutes... :(

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Frame blending resulting in a darkened image
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 1:35:33 pm

What other effects might you be applying? Seems unreasonable that a new machine would take that kind of render time just for speed change and frame blending. Can we see a screen shot of your export settings please?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:14:50 pm

Hi, Jeff Pulera, thanks for your reply.

[Jeff Pulera] "What other effects might you be applying?"

No other effects. Just sped up the clip to about 1000%. Exact same settings as I used on yesterday's clips and those of the day before on Premiere Pro CC on my PC.

[Jeff Pulera] "Seems unreasonable that a new machine would take that kind of render time..."

It really does. Which is why I'm going to contact Apple to see what may be going on. But that VERY slow render time was after I changed the Mercury Playback Engine to software, as recommended by a previous answer.

[Jeff Pulera] "Can we see a screen shot of your export settings please?"

I'm actually having this issue also while previewing. I just need to select frame blend and the image goes dark. I haven't even exported the video yet. But, when I do, I'll be doing it using H.264 with the preset YouTube HD 1080p setting.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Frame blending resulting in a darkened image
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:32:47 pm

[Xavier Bonet] "I'm actually having this issue also while previewing."

What are your preview format settings?

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Frame blending resulting in a darkened image
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 1:54:03 pm

I have no problem rendering sped up footage using frame blending on my crappy little consumer PC. You shouldn't have to resort to turning off hardware rendering. Not questioning Tero, just saying maybe something else is wrong.

I just made this video. As you can see there's a LOT of sped up video in it. I didn't use frame blending on this version but I just re-encoded it a few minutes ago to test it with frame blending and there's no difference at all.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:17:51 pm

Hi, Duke Sweden,

[Duke Sweden] "You shouldn't have to resort to turning off hardware rendering"

I agree 100%. Resorting back to software defeats the purpose of buying such an expensive computer!

[Duke Sweden] "no problem rendering sped up footage using frame blending on my crappy little consumer PC"

Up to yesterday, on my "crappy little consumer PC", I've never had issues with this... I've had issues with most everything else! But never this. So I'm stumped. I'm doing nothing differently, except that now I'm using a MacBook Pro...

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Frame blending resulting in a darkened image
by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:33:21 pm

Believe me, I feel your pain. There's a thread here somewhere, over 100 comments long, dealing with my frustration in buying a workstation, in my case an HP z800. I tried 2 times and both boxes, which at the very least should have blown my consumer PC out of the water, were worse than Windows 95 boxes of 20 years ago. I've given up since I've seen countless posts right in this forum where pros (which most of these guys are) with $5,000 setups have complained about freezing timelines and long renders. I figure what hope do I have in trying to stay under $800 bucks! The only thing left to do is scour the dumpsters outside of ILM ;-)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:46:04 pm

[Duke Sweden] "he only thing left to do is scour the dumpsters outside of ILM ;-)"

Hahaha! Let me know if you find anything interesting! ;)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:33:30 pm

I also just tried 1000% speed with Frame Blending, literally took just a few seconds to export YouTube 1080p and looks fine, done on Core i5 office machine.

Do you have any other media to test this on? Maybe it is something to do with the video source - what are the specs of the problem clip - where does it come from?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:43:41 pm

Hi again, Jeff,
I've tried several different source clips. One comes from a GoPro, the other from a Canon G7X, and the third is a time lapse from my Nikon D610. The first two are mp4, the last is mov; all three are 29.97. I use media from all three cameras every single day and I've never encountered this issue. Today, with the new computer, I have the same issue with clips from all three sources.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2016 at 2:49:29 pm

I'm at a loss then, sorry

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 17, 2016 at 5:41:35 pm

Hi, everyone!

Thanks a lot for all your input, and for taking the time to help me out. I still can't find what happened. Nor can I find anyone else in the virtual universe that has had or is having this problem. So I guess I should feel lucky... not really. Anyway, it seems to have sorted itself out, or perhaps I aided a little.

This is what I did:

I contacted Apple to see about perhaps returning this computer, as it's not as fast as I expected (perhaps I should've gone with the slightly less powerful processor but the discrete GPU AMD Radeon included), and it froze on me last night! Something you don't want to happen on a computer that's a-couple-of-hours-old. Plus, the right speaker buzzes somewhat. Anyway, they said if I didn't want to try and Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) and see if that sorts out any of those issues, so I did. For that, I had to reset the Mac and then do the SMC reset (which I'm not sure if I did correctly, because nothing special happened). Anyway, when the OS reboot, I went into PPro again and the first thing I tested was this issue and now it worked fine.

So! What happened? I guess that's between PPro and my MBPro... but I hope it doesn't happen again in the future. If anyone else gets an issue like this, it'd be nice to know what's causing it and if there's a permanent solution.

Cheers!

P.S. When I quit PPro and AE to reboot the system, AE gave me and error, something about couldn't being able to find the "dir". I wasn't able to read it, because I accidentally clicked OK.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2016 at 10:59:49 pm

Just to let you guys know this is an on and off issue... it happens about 80% of time while I'm editing and then I have to close and reopen PPro. Sometimes not even that helps and I have to restart the computer. Anyway, it's made it impossible to use Frame Blending. Which is a bummer, because I know have a lot of sped-up footage that doesn't look as smooth as before. I don't know how to solve it. I have the issue while previewing but also when exporting the final material. And there's absolutely NO online resources that I can find about the issue. Anyway, hope someone out there has had this issue and has found a solution. I would really love to know what it is!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]