ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro export eating up hard disk

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maurice BoonePremiere Pro export eating up hard disk
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 2:40:49 pm

I have an issue with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5. I recently tried to export to h264. I made sure the export was rendering to an external hard drive. The render got stuck at 100%. Then it started to use up my laptop hard disk until it got all the way to zero. I can't find these mysterious files anywhere on my hard drive to delete. I had close to 30gb of space. Now its gone. I've tried looking everywhere. I looked in media cache files. That wasn't it. Please can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Premiere Pro export eating up hard disk
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 3:34:03 pm

You simply must have between 10 and 20% free space on ALL hard drives. NLEs write temporary files during encodes, and will write those to any drive where space exists prior to creating the finished file. It certainly sounds as if you're cutting hard drive space way too close to the upper limits, thus causing the issues you're experiencing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Maurice BooneRe: Premiere Pro export eating up hard disk
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 3:36:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where any of these temporary files might be located. I tried looking everywhere. I can't find them.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Premiere Pro export eating up hard disk
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 4:10:39 pm

Windows or Mac?

If Windows, right-click a drive, click on "Properties", click on "Disk Cleanup". Take a look at the various areas of cleanup and decide which ones you wish to delete.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Maurice BooneRe: Premiere Pro export eating up hard disk
by on Jun 16, 2016 at 4:11:31 pm

I'm on a Mac

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]