ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere pro EXR/DPX Online workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton RobsahmPremiere pro EXR/DPX Online workflow
by on Jun 13, 2016 at 9:03:38 am

Hello. This might be in the wrong section, but we are going through many softwares.

We are currently looking into switching our workflow at our post-production house.
We want to have a smooth workflow from the edit to the finish without going too much out of Adobe.
(To save issues such a formats, colorspace issues and whatnot.)

Our thought is to do the online in Premiere Pro, but we are having some issues with the EDL from Avid Media Composer.
The EDL wont link to the EXR files we want to use in Premiere Pro. (We will try XML and AAF instead of EDL workflow later today and will post results.)
What we have been doing is to manually link the EXR files since the EDL won't link up, and I am pretty sure its because the filepath is different from the source material.

So here is where the real question comes in and that is. Will Premiere pro link to EDL files even if its a different path than what the source had? Will an AAF/XML recognize these files better than an EDL? Is there anyone here who have tried the same workflow as we try?

Thank you for your time.
Regards Anton.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Premiere pro EXR/DPX Online workflow
by on Jun 13, 2016 at 9:25:45 am

Do the EXRs have the same timecode/reel data as the footage cut on Avid?

Return to posts index

Anton RobsahmRe: Premiere pro EXR/DPX Online workflow
by on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:06:29 am

Yes it is.

When I manually linked the files it worked just fine.
The only thing i stumbled on when i took a look at the EDL is that on earlier projects ive been on the folder path for alexa footage was in the EDL and in Avid under the "Tape" colomn. Ex: A003RIFT or similar (dont have acces right now unfortunatly.) On this project the folder name does not show up under Tape, instead its the filename EX: A001C001_000000_RIFT

Return to posts index

Jorn BergmansRe: Premiere pro EXR/DPX Online workflow
by on Jun 13, 2016 at 1:05:53 pm

Depending on how you set it up, a typical EDL will always refer to a relative file path / just a file name, while Premiere sees all files as a symlink to the actual file / content and it will require absolute paths to each file.
This means Premiere won't typically relink files from an EDL properly, and you will always have to relink media and point Premiere to the first file in your EDL.

The workaround in Avid would be to add the full path to the file's metadata in the project Bin. On the bin's hamburger menu, select 'choose columns' and add 'source path' and 'source file'.
That should allow Avid to export an EDL with an absolute filepath. Now I'm guessing this only works with files that you AMA link in Avid - but seeing as you're working with EXR sequences, I'm assuming you have those AMA linked on a separate drive anyway, right?
(I'm a FCP / Adobe online editor/media manager, and I've not loaded for Avid in a while, but afaik the AvidMediaFiles database only accepts DNxHD and DNxHR video, which is why I'm assuming the AMA link)

That being said, an XML will typically point to an absolute path for each file. I would presume this works better in the case of relinking for Premiere. (also, it carries over more options for scaling, basic motion effects, multiple video and audio layers, etc - worth a try)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2016 at 1:11:30 pm

Great explanation on Premiere's media handling.
I just tried to link up two - three clips - put them on a timeline - export a new EDL - import EDL and the same issue persist. It wont link. And since you explained why I understand now. Thank you.

My idea from here is to export an AAF/XML from Avid Media Composer to Blacklight, and from there make a updated AAF/XML to test in Premiere Pro. Would really love for this workflow to actually work! As i said we are in the experimental stage for this workflow still.

Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2016 at 2:52:10 pm

Update:

Tried to export a new AAF from Avid to Baselight. Then did a conform of a small amount of clips, made new EXR files and tried to update the AAF, wich Baselight didnt allow us to do.

We then tried a new EDL with the Source path definately in the EDL, still like you said Premiere wont even locate these files.A AAF right from avid gave us the path files.

Return to posts index

Jorn BergmansRe: Premiere pro EXR/DPX Online workflow
by on Jun 13, 2016 at 3:20:09 pm

Hello Anton,

As I said, I haven't loaded for Avid in a long time. I believed, with AMA files, the EDL manager could embed the source path into the EDL.
An AAF should do the trick - the difference there being that an XML is literally just an edl, a text file referring to the files used, the in- and out-points and the in-point on the NLE's timeline, where AAF has the option to embed all sorts of multi media.
It will still retain the link to the original file if specified, but it can also be a self-contained package like a zip + an edl.

For a full post workflow in FCP7 / Adobe + Resolve / Baselight, we tend to use XML as it's a lot lighter (in KB's) and all our files are on a central NAS/SAN RAID5 storage, so the XML will relink to absolute paths without having to embed anything into an AAF.
Exporting an XML from BaseLight will probably give you the fastest and least data intensive workflow, but AAF should work fine, too.

Digital Technician / Media Manager

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2016 at 7:54:59 am
Last Edited By Anton Robsahm on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:14:19 pm

Hello Jorn.

Thank you again.

The problem with Avid MC is that it don't support OpenEXR, only DPX. I can transcode in Metafuze but it is gonna work against us.
I noticed after i linked up 5 EXR files from an EDL in Premiere manually and exported and XML - Import in a new project it linked with NO issue (wheras AAF didnt.) so yeah, XML is definately the way to go.

I talked to the guy running the Baselight and he told me the list options are bad and an XML export is an update to send graded info back to Avid/Premiere etc. Are we missing a plugin or have just overshadowed an XML export in Baselight?

Anton

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:32:10 pm
Last Edited By Anton Robsahm on Jun 14, 2016 at 2:19:48 pm

Update:

So i took my old EDL (from Baselight to the EXR files) into Resolve. It linked up great so I started exporting XML's and AAF's to use in Premiere Pro. The File Path now works, but Resolve changes the name on the source file in the XML EX: A101C002_151002_R6XY_[986975-987062].exr wich i understand is framecode of some sort.

I don't know if it's because of the framecount or whatever else but Premiere just dont want to link to the Filepath. Source material is on NAS server.

Is there a workaround for this in Resolve? Or maybe in Premiere?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]