ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Project file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amar SalgiaProject file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!
by on Jun 11, 2016 at 3:31:00 pm

Dear Creative Cow Community,

I have been building a project file for some time, and the file size was around 50 MB for a while. I worked on it more yesterday, and somehow it grew to 295 MB!!! (The only thing I did significantly different yesterday was I put just one clip on a blending mode, that being "Soft Light".) Now, the file will not open. When I try to open it, it get's stuck on the "Loading File" process.

I do have archival copies, however I would be losing all of my recent work. Is there any solution to this, and any way I might be able to open the file? I would be very grateful for some direction. Thanks very much in advance!

Sincerely,

Amar

Return to posts index

Amar SalgiaRe: Project file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!
by on Jun 11, 2016 at 3:32:31 pm

Additional info: I am using Adobe Premiere CS6 on a PC.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Project file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!
by on Jun 11, 2016 at 4:20:11 pm

Did you try to import that project file into a new blank project?

Return to posts index

Amar SalgiaRe: Project file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!
by on Jun 11, 2016 at 4:28:58 pm

Hi Pierpaolo,

No, I was trying to open it by simply double clicking on it.

Would it be different if I were to open Premiere, and THEN in Premiere try to open the project file?

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Project file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!
by on Jun 11, 2016 at 4:32:37 pm
Last Edited By Pierpaolo Ferlaino on Jun 11, 2016 at 4:34:53 pm

Would it be different if I were to open Premiere, and THEN in Premiere try to open the project file?

I don't think so...But I mean "import", not "open"...

Create a new project, select File > import, then "import" your old project and see if it works...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 11, 2016 at 5:04:39 pm

I tried that, and it got stuck again. I tried (1) importing the entire project file, and (2) importing only the main sequence. When I tried (2) it got stuck when it tried to read the file I was trying to import to find the sequences.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 11, 2016 at 8:24:26 pm

I assume that there is no solution to this problem.

Can anyone simply explain why the size of my project file suddenly went up astronomically? All I did was place one clip on "soft light" blending mode.

Thanks for any insight...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2016 at 9:51:15 am

You said you have archival copies... Did you mean backups or auto-saves from Premiere? Did you try with auto-saves? Maybe you can recover your work without loosing too much...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2016 at 3:58:45 pm

At the end of every work session, I save a uniquely labeled copy of the project file. So, in theory, at the most I would lose one work session's worth of work if the file goes bad, as this one apparently did for some inexplicable reason.

Adobe folks, please take note of this problem and make a fix available.

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Project file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!
by on Jun 13, 2016 at 4:57:54 pm

[Amar Salgia] "Adobe folks, please take note of this problem and make a fix available."

Not likely, as someone said CS6 is end of lifed.

If it helps to know I'm pretty sure around CC or CC 2014 they made changes so that
the project files don't get nearly as big.

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto CroceRe: Project file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!
by on Jun 11, 2016 at 11:24:06 pm

Are you using any warp stabilizer? this effect make huge the project size.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2016 at 4:02:48 pm

Hi Massimo,

I am using WARP stabilizer, and have used it in the past, and there was never an issue. It was definitely not the use of the WARP stabilizer that caused the project file to swell from 50 MB to 295 MB in one session.

The only significant thing that I did differently in that session was to place one clip on the "Soft Light" blending mode.

It seems to me that this is simply a problem in Adobe Premiere (I am using CS6 on a PC). I hope that the Adobe company takes heed and makes a solution available.

Thanks.

Amar

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Project file size somehow grew from 50 MB to 295 MB - and now it won't open!
by on Jun 13, 2016 at 1:18:20 pm

Amar, as you know, CS6 is quite a few versions behind now, so this issue may in fact have already been addressed in later versions. CS6 is an end of life product. I can understand why you would prefer to hang on to the stand-alone software, but some issues may come with that choice.

I have run into this issue in the past. I cannot remember if CS6 supports this possible solution. Create your new, empty project and import the bins and sequences, etc. (not the project). That may give you a new project to work from without losing any work. I have done this successfully in CC versions.

I have found it is a good plan for us, with long-running projects, to periodically start fresh. Archive the old, move on with the new. That has worked well for us.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]