ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Change sequence settings

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick McKennaChange sequence settings
by on Feb 28, 2016 at 3:58:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm a new user to Adobe Premiere CC having only got it last week. I was a Sony Vegas user for the past 5 years so I'm still trying to familiarise myself with Premiere.

Anyway, I'm working on the edit for a short film that was shot on the Panasonic GH4 camera. The majority of the footage was shot in 4K with some slo-mo shots shot at 1080p. My plan is to export the final product in 1080. Being unfamiliar to Premiere, I simply imported the 4K footage into Premiere and dragged it onto the timeline so I can only assume that it automatically became a 4K timeline sequence. I edited one full scene but the playback in the program window is very lagged and choppy. I'm editing on a Lenovo Y50 laptop (i7 processor 4710HQ, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX graphics card).

I saw a video that editing 4K footage on a 1080 sequence would have smoother playback. If this is correct, how can I go about changing my sequence settings where I have already began editing on a 4K sequence?

Thanks,
Pat

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Change sequence settings
by on Feb 29, 2016 at 7:29:32 am

Yep. Sequence - Sequence settings.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Change sequence settings
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 3:43:33 pm

Hi Patrick,

Something else to consider is that if you put 1080 clips into a 4K sequence, Premiere is going to upscale the HD to 4K, which is going to soften/pixelate/degrade the HD to some degree, and then when you export as HD, that degradation will still be there.

So, if you do intend to export as HD, then edit as HD. The 4K content will look great scaled down, and the HD clips will of course be perfect on the export since they have not been upscaled/downscaled, staying native resolution.

For the 4K clips in HD sequence, right click and select "Set to Frame Size". The 4K will then fit the HD frame, however if you wish to use Adobe Motion to reframe the 4K footage at all, you can do so while using all that glorious 4K pixel goodness to your advantage in the HD frame size.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Change sequence settings
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 7:16:31 pm

If you still want to change the settings you need to set the Editing Mode to Custom first otherwise you wont be able to change the resolution.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]