ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

What is the best way to get mini dv tapes (Canon XL2) to the highest quality digital

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lydia ClarkeWhat is the best way to get mini dv tapes (Canon XL2) to the highest quality digital
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 8:54:55 pm

OK - I have looked through the posts but I cant seem to get my exact answer so I apologize if this sounds like a question that has been asked before.

Specfically, I have a Canon XL2 that I have recorded on MiniDv tapes. I would like to publish these recordings (online learning product) and I need to get the tapes to the highest quality digital product I can.

I have looked into internal HDMI cards, external HDMI cards, Blackmagic products... it gets confusing as I am not as smart as I should be on this (which is about half as smart as the average 15 year old and about 1 1/10 as smart as the people on here).

I have things like Kworld capture, Roxio capture devices but they seem to give me horrible quality.

If I could make a wish I would be able to get 1080i out of all of this somehow... is that possible?

ANY advice is GREATLY APPRECIATE

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: What is the best way to get mini dv tapes (Canon XL2) to the highest quality digital
by on Nov 26, 2015 at 3:12:49 pm

Connect your camera to your computer via Firewire and capture the video via Premiere. It will capture the full resolution of your tape, which I would guess is 640x480 unless you recorded to HD MiniDV. Unfortunately, scaling up the video to 1080 will look pretty bad no matter what. You have a limited amount of information to work with and computers can't really fill in all the missing detail.

Return to posts index

Lydia ClarkeRe: What is the best way to get mini dv tapes (Canon XL2) to the highest quality digital
by on Nov 29, 2015 at 5:21:28 pm

Ahh! Now I understand, I just saw you post after I answered the other post. I was going to feed through an upscaler but if it will distort the quality then I will not waste my time.

THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: What is the best way to get mini dv tapes (Canon XL2) to the highest quality digital
by on Nov 28, 2015 at 10:31:20 pm

Get yourself a firewire card, a firewire cable (I think it comes with the camera) and capture your tapes to dv-avi (windows) or mov (mac).

Btw dv-avi/mov mini dv tapes capture in 720x576 pal or 720x480 for ntsc.

The Canon xl2 is a SD-camera and so is the footage: HD (1080i) is out of the question.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Lydia ClarkeRe: What is the best way to get mini dv tapes (Canon XL2) to the highest quality digital
by on Nov 29, 2015 at 5:19:53 pm

Thank you Ann, I appreciate your response.

I am aware of how to get an image to the computer but what I was really trying to ask (and I should have been more specific) is if there is a way that anyone knows of to upscale the image.

I see many digital upscalers out there and I see them used on things like old x boxes - you can feed the SD from the x box through an upscaler and come out with a high res image.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Upscalers in video conversion.

I was going to see what would happen if I fed the camera to a capture device (like a Kworld or Roxio) and then fed the capture device into an upscaler then the upscaler to the computer?

It is a pretty expensive science project though so I wanted to see if anyone else has experience with anything similar.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]