I have a project file that's been created on a different PC and it opens OK, then asks
me to locate all the original .mvi files, which I locate successfully but for some reason
when I locate .aep file (which is also created on a different PC) nothing happens when I hit OK button. Why?
Re: can't locate .aep by Richard Herd on Jul 24, 2015 at 4:09:33 pm
[Vitaly Karamazoff]"aep file (which is also created on a different PC) nothing happens when I hit OK button"
Dynamic Link right?
I'm on a mac, but the idea is the same, and you can find articles and tutorials on the exact details I'm about to mention:
1. Make sure your Dynamic Link Server folder has the file permissions set so that everyone can read and write, and also make sure your firewall is turned off, because the Dynamic Link talks to itself via TCP/IP and they are "unapproved" in the firewall settings.
2. Make sure your media is on a drive whose file permissions are also set so that everyone can read and write.
You can imagine that the files you received from your colleague being on a different system, now do not have permissions to talk to your system, because it has a different system.
3. This may not solve the relinking issue because PP still doesn't know which AE project and AE comp refers to what database entry. So you need to select the AE comp inside of PP > right click > make offline ...
4. Turn it back on line by right click > link media...
If that doesn't work, then you'll need to use Media Browser to import the comps again. But isn't as bad as it seems as long as you
1. do not delete the off line comps and do not delete them from the sequence: make a new folder and put the new comps in there (because they will have the same name and you'll need to keep track).
2. Right click the newly imported comp, right click > Open in Source Monitor.
3. Find in the sequence the matching ooff-line comp, then in the sequence time line right click it > Replace with clip > from source monitor
(The proper way to share media, in the future, :) is with the Project > Project Manager...