ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

missing audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Webbmissing audio
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 10:46:21 am

I have spent all day searching for, and trying, solutions to this problem.

So i open my project (ppro cc 2014 latest)
and i see on the timeline that 5 of 20 clips have lost their audio. Literally, blank spaces on the audio track. When i doubleclick a clip, it opens in the source monitor with NO audio. (note: all clips are from the same source)
According to Properties the clip has video AND audio.

If i choose reveal in project i get the original source, video and audio, but none of the InOutMarkers (maybe the last one)

So the only fix i can see, is to manually set the in/out markers again for each and every clip, and insert them onto my timeline again, manually line them up with the broken clips, reapply effects, transitions, ... basically DO EVERYTHING AGAIN.

Would someone please explain how to re-associate lost audio to a clip please. And maybe explain how to avoid this happening again.

UPDATE- I've just discovered that I cant open in source monitor both the clip that needs fixing, and the actual source file its taken from. (nor into target window). So there's no easy way for me to re-choose the clip. !!!! AAAAaaaahhhhh.

Return to posts index

Jonny WebbRe: missing audio - solution 1
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 11:03:37 am

solution 1:
doubleclick the clip, on the timeline. it'll open in source monitor, where you can rightclick and choose Reveal in Project.
Now doubleclick the file, in project manager, and the file opens in source window, with the required clip marked.
Drag it into your project AGAIN.

Only good if your Markers are remembered.

Return to posts index

Jonny WebbRe: missing audio - solution 2
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 11:08:14 am

solution 2
doubleclick the clip on the timeline, so it opens in source monitor. Now press F (or Sequence->MatchFrame). this will restore? find? the original video with markers.
Drag clip, or just audio, to timeline.

Note: difficult or buggy to use. I've had to select source monitor sometimes, select the clip on timeline other times, press reverse-framematch, and combinations of all the above before succeeding. And yes I've read (way too much) about this 'feature'.

Note2: this 'feature' makes PPro crash. So save your project AS SOON AS audio is found & restored.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: missing audio - solution 2
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:00:09 pm

Hi Jonny,

What type of footage are you working with? If for example AVCHD, as you know the SD card will have a complex folder system and file naming employed. If you only Import the video files themselves into Premiere, important linkage and metadata may be lost and therefore Premiere later gets confused about things.

Best practice for any card-based media is to do a straight COPY of ALL CONTENTS of card to a new folder on your hard drive. Copy it all, not just video. Then in Premiere, use Media Browser to import the footage, NOT the "File > Import" method. Media Browser is normally found tabbed at lower left. It correctly interprets footage, combines spanned clips, attaches audio properly, etc.

Hope this helps moving forward.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jonny WebbRe: missing audio - solution 2
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 10:19:10 am

Thanks for the reply, and the heads up re SD cards.

However, most of our depts clips are simply digitised tape. The troublesome clips in question here are the same as hundreds of clips that have served us well without any issues.
i spent some time comparing the nittygritty details of some clips (codecs, bitrates, encoded rates, chroma subs, etc) and couldnt find any difference.
If i could find a quick and easy way to restore, or refocus, a clip to its original, i'd blame it on the ghost in the machine and move on. As it is, i'd still like a better method.

Oh, for those interested, choose the start of the clip (first frame) before using FrameMatch - seems more successful.
:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]