ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Basic workflow question for cutting narrative scene in Premeire CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SchubbBasic workflow question for cutting narrative scene in Premeire CS6
by on May 25, 2015 at 12:36:20 am

Would appreciate any advice about how to approach this small project... Am out of my league; have been drafted as unqualified-editor-of-last-resort to assemble a rough cut of a 2-3 minute scene I shot with two actors. (Unpaid project for a friend, of course)

Have 90 mins of AVCHD footage from a GH4 with 4 tracks of external wav files from a recorder. After a lot of sync errors in Plural Eyes and much back and forth w/ Red Giant, I now have one long synced sequence w/ 6 audio tracks in my timeline.

Basically, the first 45 minutes is coverage of one actor and the second 45 minutes is the other actor.

Should I just cut this on the timeline? Trimming away until I have the selects for both characters... which would total maybe four minutes of material. And then moving the second actor's shots up on the timeline?

Or is there a smarter way to do this? Maybe cutting this one long sequence into a bin of selected takes and then adding them into the timeline? That seems better, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

(Am also baffled by an additional wrinkle... when I duplicate the sequence and start chopping it, I seem to lose access to all the extra audio tracks. When I click to access the audio tracks, it reopens a new sequence window with the 90 min uncut sequence. Should I be cleaning up the audio first? And then duping the sequence and editing for picture?)

Please forgive my ignorance! And thanks in advance for any advice on how I should approach this "learning experience."

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Basic workflow question for cutting narrative scene in Premeire CS6
by on May 26, 2015 at 8:34:05 pm

[Mark Schubb] "thanks in advance for any advice on how I should approach this "learning experience.""

What's your deadline?

That's a ridiculously high shooting ratio, and also because you have all these other questions, I imagine there are codec and frame rate issues too. I always check that first.

There are two basic ways to get your media into your edit session, but before I explain that, be sure your media are on a dedicated drive separate from your system drive. There are dozens of options to choose from, but it should be the fastest possible connection you can afford.

To get the media in the edit session:

1. Use the Media Browser to navigate to the media (now located on the above-mentioned drive) and drag and drop it into the project pane.

OR

2. Use Prelude (which is what I suggest) to transcode the media into the exact same codec, framerate, and format. Then either use the Media Browser or "send to Premiere."

Again I highly suggest using Prelude in this situation.

Your next step will be to sync all the picture and sound. So hopefully the production used a slate or sync'd timecode. Otherwise, it's a real pain.

In order to sync: You need to make a sequence and call it ACTOR_A (or whatever makes sense) and put the video in there and the audio under it until it matches. Then cut both clips at the same place and delete the stuff that no longer matters.Then select both the audio and the video, right click, choose "merge clips..." and choose synchronize point in-points.

You will also need to stay very organized, by creating and labeling bins, and putting the various footage items in there.

Once you start cutting, call the first sequence the assemble edit, and you're just trying to find the pacing and tone of the scene. Once that's set, duplicate that, and rename it to the rough edit. In there, you're moving beyond pacing into shot selection and maybe have alternatives for which angle, hold on a reaction, or whatever. Once that's done, you start mastering audio. And when that's done, duplicate the sequence and rename to fine. On that one, your audio should have been mastered to its deliverable format and levels, and the color correction can be started.

You should prepare yourself that this will all take you a very long time. 45:1 shooting ratio can take days to deliver 2 minutes of video. Since you are very new, give yourself a month.

Return to posts index

Mark SchubbRe: Basic workflow question for cutting narrative scene in Premeire CS6
by on May 27, 2015 at 7:56:49 pm

Thanks, Richard. Very helpful!

90% of the 90 minutes is easy to trim away, just adjustments being made or discussed while camera was still rolling. So hopefully will get a rough cut done sooner than a month...

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Basic workflow question for cutting narrative scene in Premeire CS6
by on May 28, 2015 at 4:47:53 pm

[Mark Schubb] "hopefully will get a rough cut done sooner than a month"

Managing the deliverable is important too. It's always better to under promise and over deliver. If you say it will take a month and turn it in in 2 weeks, then you're a hero. If you say it will take a week, and it takes 2 weeks, you're a goat.

Also let us know when you're ready for the audio sound design and mastering. It can be more detailed than the picture edit. We call it gain staging.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]