ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

"Replace with After Effects Comp"/'TimeWarp' workflow?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements"Replace with After Effects Comp"/'TimeWarp' workflow?
by on May 14, 2015 at 3:01:50 pm

Hi,

I'm having issues with creating time warps in After Effects sent via Premiere. In Premiere, I edit a piece of footage I want to apply the timewarp effect to. I send to AE. Then I enable time remapping and apply a 50% timewarp of mixed frames. Then, AE scales out all my footage so I have massive handles of unwanted footage. Is there any way to send to AE, apply the timewarp and just have it double in length, with my same in point?

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: "Replace with After Effects Comp"/'TimeWarp' workflow?
by on May 14, 2015 at 10:06:54 pm

Try the reverse of the replace with after effects: Open after effects and import the PP project. As previously noted I'm on CS6, so before I import a PP project into AE, I project manager the sequence I'm going to import. That will create a new PP project. I name it Project Name mm for ae to denote if I need it later that this is "media manage for after effects." If you do not media manage first (again CS6 not sure about CC), then it will bring ALL of the footage in that PP project into AE, and that can be a lot of footage.

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: "Replace with After Effects Comp"/'TimeWarp' workflow?
by on May 15, 2015 at 7:39:34 am

Thanks, Richard. I tend to work on effects as I go, rather than finishing everything at the end, so I don't know how messy that approach would be. Definitely something to think about though - especially if doing a kind of online after offline.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2015 at 3:52:20 pm

The Rate Stretch Tool in Premiere is fantastic. And also right click > Speed Duration... (in Premiere) is also very powerful. The "trick" instead of keyframes is to use hard cuts. Imagine you have a 1 second clip, 24 frames.

Cut it into thirds.

part 1 (frame 0-7) right click speed duration of 133% (or whatever)
part 2 (frame 8-15) right click speed duration of 50% (or whatever)
part 3 (frame 16-24) right click speed duration of 85% (or whatever).

Regarding (or whatever) ;) That's where the Rate Stretch Tool is fantastic. Because instead of right clicking and typing in numbers you can "ripple" the time rate directly in the timeline.

I love after effects don't get me wrong, but in instances like this it is quite the pain because playback/RAM preview is wonky. Also once you have set your time in premiere, knowing the percentages, you can then write those values down and send the three parts mentioned above to AE (replace with comp), and manually type in those numbers to the timewarp to take advantage of the Pixel Motion render method.

Return to posts index

Craig HowardRe: "Replace with After Effects Comp"/'TimeWarp' workflow?
by on May 15, 2015 at 5:36:57 am

I usually work directly on my clips in AEFX and export a Digital intermediate for importing as an asset into Premiere Pro.

ie...no direct or dynamic links.

Simple , easy and makes for good asset management workflows....as wel as a "smooth" edit experience from fully rendered files in PPro.

If I want to revisit that clip..OPen AEfx..rework it and export again to same filename or an iteration if I wish.

Same file name is like a dynamic link in the fact that it updates on the timelime as/where used.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CC2014 Suite, Resolve
Windows 7-64 bit:Assus P6T Deluxe Mob, 24 GB BM SDI Decklink, . HD Workflows

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2015 at 7:43:39 am

Good to know, Craig. Sounds like you're not really sold on dynamic link. I like it, but see its limitations.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Craig HowardRe: "Replace with After Effects Comp"/'TimeWarp' workflow?
by on May 16, 2015 at 12:10:05 am

Good to know, Craig. Sounds like you're not really sold on dynamic link.

I am not against it at all. Its a great idea and I would use it in certain circumstances were they to arise.

I just find it so easy to think in unique single assets and not have to worry about editing via dynamic link to some huge complex unrendered Comp that has a bunch of assets and stuff attached to it.

AEFX is not a real time edit experience and I so much enjoy how PPRO is. I just do stuff to maintain that.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CC2014 Suite, Resolve
Windows 7-64 bit:Assus P6T Deluxe Mob, 24 GB BM SDI Decklink, . HD Workflows

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2015 at 4:03:16 pm

In Dynamic Link, I often have Premiere open on my left monitor and AE open on my right monitor, and the changes I make in AE populate instantly in Premiere. It's pretty cool.

One big tip I learned from Walter Soyka is as follows:

1. In preferences of both AE and PP, set the Media Cache to the exact same folder (best is on a fast SSD that is not the system and is not the media drive).
2. In AE, Composition > Cache Work Area in Background.

This means that literally PP and AE are sharing the exact same render files. Wow is it fast!

One note also: I learned the hard way that it is very wise to Duplicate the PP sequence and call it something like Sequence_name DL, in order to denote that this sequence is the one being shared, because once you right click and replace with AE comp those edits are no longer available in premiere and if there are changes for who knows what reason, "you have to cut picture in AE," which is its own kind-of malphemism.

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2015 at 6:52:54 pm

All good tips, Richard!

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]