ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Can someone please explain how Premiere's playhead works? - especially when working with audio.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ClementsCan someone please explain how Premiere's playhead works? - especially when working with audio.
by on May 2, 2015 at 5:18:02 pm

Hi,

In Avid and FCP, I used to be able to sync by ear, but this is not the case in Premiere. When I move the playhead to where I hear the snap and mark and in and then mark and in on the slate - when I line them up, the they are always out of sync. So, I then zoom in on the waveform and position my playhead at the start of the audio and mark and IN, but the in mark is behind where the playhead is! If I move the playhead forward and then mark an in, I can get it in sync, but it is the weirdest playhead action I have EVER seen. It's not like that on picture - where the IN mark seems to line up with the location of the playhead.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Craig HowardRe: Can someone please explain how Premiere's playhead works? - especially when working with audio.
by on May 3, 2015 at 3:08:24 am

Not sure why you are using an IN Mark for Synching.

Use a MARKER on Video and another on Audio Clip ( eg clapper video and audio) then the line up will Display an dconfirm when aligned.

IN points and OUT Points do display differently and logically as regards playheads( hopefully).

The IN ..includes that incoming frame so is "left of it"
The OUT...includes that outgoing frame and so is "right of it"

Only noticeable if you are zoomed right in on a timeline to frame level.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro Production Premium Suite
Windows 7-64 bit:Assus P6T Deluxe Mob, 24 GB BM SDI Decklink, . HD Workflows

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: Can someone please explain how Premiere's playhead works? - especially when working with audio.
by on May 3, 2015 at 8:36:14 am

Thanks, Craig. You are right about markers. IN marks are the first choice in the merge clips dialogue box and a standard way of syncing in other NLEs, so that's why I was going with them. The Adobe training manual said nothing about using markers over IN marks. However, they don't seem to be at all suited to selecting audio - behaving completely differently to other NLEs.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Can someone please explain how Premiere's playhead works? - especially when working with audio.
by on May 5, 2015 at 7:34:31 pm

[Scott Clements] "behaving completely differently to other NLEs"

One question is: Why did you leave the other NLEs if you like how they do their thing?

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: Can someone please explain how Premiere's playhead works? - especially when working with audio.
by on May 5, 2015 at 8:19:34 pm

Because, Richard....the reality is that you have to use what clients want you to use. There are also solid benefits to using Premiere. It's better for effects than Avid.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Can someone please explain how Premiere's playhead works? - especially when working with audio.
by on May 6, 2015 at 7:13:53 pm

[Scott Clements] "you have to use what clients want you to use"

Interesting. None of my clients care what NLE I use. (I make commercials.) I use CS6. For me my favorite tool in the Adobe suite is Audition. Premiere, for me, is more like a hub-point to aggregate content via Dynamic Link. I end up using Prelude and Project Manager from inside Premiere quite a bit in my workflow because it makes things a bit more streamlined when sharing through Dynamic Link.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]