ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Moving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ClementsMoving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?
by on Apr 26, 2015 at 11:21:24 pm

In Premiere, I would love to be able to copy clips from one bin, then paste them into another bin and delete the clips from the original bin. However, when you delete the clips from the original location, Premiere very dangerously deletes the clips from the timeline - completely obliterating your edit. It does warn you ahead of time, but it's still incredibly scary that the program behaves this way. Is the only way to moves clips from one bin to another to have both bins open and to click and drag between them?

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Moving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?
by on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:58:35 am

Dont copy/paste just drag from one bin to another.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: Moving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?
by on Apr 27, 2015 at 9:19:46 am

Thanks for confirming that, Ann. That is a very awkward workflow. I'm going to request a change.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Moving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?
by on Apr 29, 2015 at 6:17:28 am

[Scott Clements] "That is a very awkward workflow."

Dragging and dropping a folder is a very awkward workflow? How exactly? That does what you laid out in the first post and you don't need to delete anything.

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: Moving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?
by on Apr 29, 2015 at 6:24:16 am

Hi, Tero.

It may not appear awkward if you're working on a small project and only have to do it once or twice, but imagine a project with hundreds of bins, thousands of clips (a feature film for example).... opening bins all over the place to drag and drop becomes tedious. There's a lot of opening and closing of bins and moving windows around and such. It could become a real nightmare. FCP 7's way of handling this stuff is still the best of all the NLEs I've used.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Moving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?
by on Apr 29, 2015 at 7:03:13 am

[Scott Clements] "but imagine a project with hundreds of bins, thousands of clips (a feature film for example).... "

I've done these and if you have problems with it then might it be a project organization problem? I still don't see how would copy/pasting be any easier.

Return to posts index

Trevor AsquerthianRe: Moving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?
by on Apr 29, 2015 at 6:22:32 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "I still don't see how would copy/pasting be any easier."

Well I certainly can.

Just because something hasn't been a limitation for you doesn't mean it isn't for other people, perhaps working in a different way, in a different genre or at a different skill level.

I use cut and paste all the time across apps and in the finder / explorer to move files from one place to another.

Unless you have unlimited screen real estate your project window is fighting with lots of other windows AND the scrolling of the project window is hit and miss as you drag and drop so cut/paste makes a lot of sense. e.g. if you've used media browser to import a whole bunch of clips they will be at the last place you were in the project - you need to do some housekeeping to organise them.

I think Premiere's requirement for all clips in a sequence to be 'in' a project is somewhat limiting on a number of levels. Most other NLEs do not impose this limitation.

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Moving clips from bin to bin - cannot copy and paste and then delete without deleting clips from timeline?
by on Apr 30, 2015 at 12:21:31 am

If you are moving all the clips, just rename the bin instead. If only one or two, you may not have enough screen space, but if that's the case, you can fix that with more screens. It sounds more like an organizational problem. Ideally, you should have each main section binned, and bins inside that to hold sequences, which also have a bin inside them for the clips used in that sequence, and when using a clip in several sequences, you can just copy paste. If you have an abundance of clips, sort by date bins, or scene\section. By opening bins with fewer files in them, you shorten the visual length of the list, and can save screen space. If you aren't cataloguing your footage properly and sorting, you are going to feel a little awkward when working. The more you work in prep, the less awkwardness you have to deal with later and the faster you tend to work.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:59:07 am

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Just because something hasn't been a limitation for you doesn't mean it isn't for other people"

If one is doing a feature request one needs to be precise in what they are expecting to do and how exactly would it help. This will help other users to request the same feature and the developers to understand the problem.

[Trevor Asquerthian] "Unless you have unlimited screen real estate"

There is a keyboard shortcut for "maximize panel under cursor" where you can maximize one panel to the whole screen super easy making reorganizing a project easier. There is also the search bar.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:46:23 am

This is not an organisational problem, nor does the tilda key help in this case. Copy and paste prevents clicking and dragging things around, which eventually gives you carpal tunnel syndrome. As I said, if it is a very limited activity, then, yes - it's no problem. However, if you need to do massive amounts of it, it can really wear down your wrist/finger/thumb. And the problem is only exacerbated when working on a laptop/track pad, which many of us have to do very often.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]