ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Old CS4 / HDV question.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee OverstreetOld CS4 / HDV question.
by on Mar 28, 2015 at 11:14:07 pm

Am I correct from my research that good ol' Premiere Pro CS4 cannot do scene detection from HDV, but it can from standard-def DV?

If true, man is that ever ridiculous! I swear I remember doing HDV scene detection with Premiere Pro 2.0. I plan, if finances stay OK, to start renting CC6. My wife can get the teacher's pricing of $30/mo. But I sure wanted to begin the capturing phase of my project with the CS4 that I have. Guess I'll start with all my DV tapes.

Is there a free utility that can scene detect an HDV tape? Subsequent editing sure is easier. It's not the end of the world I guess. I only have about 20 HDV tapes to capture.

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Old CS4 / HDV question.
by on Apr 5, 2015 at 2:36:49 pm

There is utility to detect scene changes, based on ffmpeg/fprobe. But it doesn't detect perfectly though.

Might give it a shot ?

I don't know if CS4 can open that XML generated sequence files though..

If you happen to own After Effects, there's a script that do the job really well (much better scene detection). I believe it's called Magnum-Edit Detetctor. Not free, $39.9
There's a trial i believe, but probaly the function is limited in some ways..
But i don't know if premiere CS4 can import comp from AE.
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Lee OverstreetRe: Old CS4 / HDV question.
by on Apr 7, 2015 at 6:16:29 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Reading through that, it sounds like a bit more trouble than it's worth for my 25 HDV tapes, though. Since I'm probably going to be buying a Matrox MX02 mini and renting PP CC6 (I can get a teacher discount), I'll probably just wait and capture my HDV tapes then.

At least good ol' CS4 will get me through these DV tapes for free. ;-)

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Old CS4 / HDV question.
by on Apr 5, 2015 at 8:28:37 pm

Perfect tool for capturing hdv (dont worry about being beta):

Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Lee OverstreetRe: Old CS4 / HDV question.
by on Apr 7, 2015 at 6:17:20 am

I've seen old forum entries where people link to that, but the link doesn't work. :-(

Just says "This webpage is not available."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved