ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

how to convert xvid avi files for premiere pro 5.5 properly?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Thompsonhow to convert xvid avi files for premiere pro 5.5 properly?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 3:43:50 am

I am using Premiere Pro 5.5 for the first time. I have footage from an older Flip camera with the following specs that I need to convert. I have MPEG Streamclip to convert the files.

What format should I convert them to? What settings in streamclip should I use? Should I keep them as AVI files or convert to mp4 or mpeg or something else? I don't have the fastest computer setup or a ton of storage space to work with, but would like to have the right format for my imports so that I don't have problems editing. Thanks for the help.

Source footage:
File type: .avi
Format: XVid (Perian), 640x480, Millions Microsoft ADPCM, Mono, 44.100 KHz
FPS: 30
Data Rate: 7,760.50 KBit/S
Size: 640x480 pixels (actual)

Working with:
-Premiere Pro CS5.5
-MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo, 4GB ram, OSX 10.6.8
-1 TB external hard drive to store footage and projects

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: how to convert xvid avi files for premiere pro 5.5 properly?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:13:36 am

Are you sure this is Flip footage.
Flip camera's record in mp4 for which you can use natively in a XD CAM EX sequence.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: how to convert xvid avi files for premiere pro 5.5 properly?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:17:41 am

I think I answered this question before.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Anne ThompsonRe: how to convert xvid avi files for premiere pro 5.5 properly?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 8:05:18 pm

Hi Ann,

You answered my first question, which was basically, do I need to convert and if so, how and with what settings. You assured me that xivd was an unsuitable format for editing but I am still trying to find out what format I appropriate to convert to.

I have mpeg streamclip software and can convert the xvid avi files to something else there but don't know which settings to use. I've tried things that make the files work but they are 10x the size of the xivd file and take hours to convert, so I want to be sure I have the right settings before I begin converting everything that way, if that is the next step.

It sure is a flip camera :) Older, non-hd. white model, from flip video.

Return to posts index

Dave MichaelsRe: how to convert xvid avi files for premiere pro 5.5 properly?
by on Apr 18, 2015 at 4:03:31 am

Hi, I know this post is over a month old but if you're still having issues this may help.

I'm a newb to CS6 myself. Learning it now at work but I've had a few issues importing some source clips and had to recode them first.

I used Handbrake and re-coded them to X264/mp4. I hate re-coding to mp4 first because it's compressing the source video then the edited/rendered sequence is likely to be compressed again when it's exported depending on the output codec that's used....but...if it's the only way it will work and you're not making a movie that's going to be shown on a theatre size screen it should be ok. In your case XVID is already a compressed mpeg4 so converting to x264 will be crunching it again just to make a usable source file. I don't know how many time you can re-code to mpeg4 and have it come out right or not mess up the frames after being compressed several times....but...give it a shot and see what happens. Get Handbrake and try recoding your clips to x264 and save in an mp4 container. CS6 should be able to import the resulting files for editing.

You can get Handbrake from Softpedia or Sourceforge.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]