ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Taking over project from Windows, AVI and WMV media

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Hubbard
Taking over project from Windows, AVI and WMV media
on Feb 19, 2015 at 7:22:57 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask about this, I can't think of anywhere else. I'm taking over editing a video that was done in PP on Windows, I'm not sure what version. I work in the latest PPCC on Yosemite OS X (currently a pain for unrelated reasons.) The timeline converted fine, the problem lies with the media. It's all a mix of AVI and WMV. The AVI appears to be mostly xvid and I can't figure out what the WMV is. PP refuses to relink or import these files, I've tried the media browser, standard import, and relinking dialogues (media encoder is a no go as well). The videos play in VLC. All the searching I've done for these problems results in a few people basically advertising for file conversion programs, even in these forums. If that is the only solution that's fine, would just like to hear from somebody who doesn't seem to be hawking these sketchy looking paid downloads. Just out of curiosity, do Windows users still use xvid and why? And is AVI and WMV still in professional use?

Return to posts index

Travis Hubbard
Re: Taking over project from Windows, AVI and WMV media
on Feb 19, 2015 at 8:25:26 pm

I suppose that wasn't really clear. My question is basically what is the best way to get xvid AVI and WMV files to work with PPCC on OS X?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 20, 2015 at 5:30:38 am

[Travis Hubbard] "what is the best way to get xvid AVI and WMV files to work with PPCC on OS X"

Transcoding them to a better format.

Return to posts index

Travis Hubbard
on Feb 20, 2015 at 6:24:16 am

Yeah, that's what I've been talking about, I guess I should've been clearer and said that. I guess I was holding out hope for a less lossy option. Anyways, I downloaded handbrake and used that to convert everything to h.264, as MPEG-2 ended up not working with that. Pretty much a terrible solution but the only thing I could see outside of deactivating CC and installing it on boot camp. In the future I'll just flat out turn down jobs involving AVI and WMV.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]