ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe Premier Pro CC not using GPU in playback or encoding...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Latoch
Adobe Premier Pro CC not using GPU in playback or encoding...
on Jan 12, 2015 at 1:07:40 am

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here, I've been searching google for 2 days now trying to fix my issue.

I'm running an NVidia GTX 660 card and I've already used the gpusniffer method to retrieve the official name of my card and added it to cuda_supported_cards.txt file.

Under project settings I made sure that GPU Acceleration(CUDA) was enabled.

But whenever I do any process in CC, whether it be playback on the timeline or render in and out or export-encode the file.. my GPU usage is always at 0%

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Adobe Premier Pro CC not using GPU in playback or encoding...
on Jan 12, 2015 at 1:37:12 am

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-en...

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Peter Latoch
on Jan 12, 2015 at 2:21:47 am

sooo the conclusion is???? lol sorry but I'm a newb to video editing so I really don't understand under which circumstances cuda is used, because under scaling it is used but I'm not sure how to scale?

Sorry..

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 12, 2015 at 5:22:54 am

[Peter Latoch] "sooo the conclusion is????"

Are you doing something that would actually use the GPU accelerated features?

Return to posts index

Peter Latoch
on Jan 13, 2015 at 2:18:24 am

yah I'm a newb... I just figured out that I need to add effects to the video for the card to actually do something.... sorry guys but I'm still learning at this point.

Another question is... would getting a card with higher cuda cores improve my encoding times as well or only when adding effects?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 13, 2015 at 5:22:16 am

[Peter Latoch] "would getting a card with higher cuda cores improve my encoding times as well or only when adding effects?"

The same answer applies. If you're using features that are using the GPU (for example scaling on export) then it'll help.

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
on Jan 13, 2015 at 6:38:57 pm

My understanding is that the stock codecs are not GPU accelerated, but there is third-party software available that works with Premiere for codecs like H.264 that will us GPU acceleration.

Return to posts index

Peter Latoch
on Jan 13, 2015 at 6:50:17 pm

I did find the following

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1243687

Return to posts index

Ruski Snajper
on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:02:01 pm

I've just got Premiere Pro CC and H.264 encoding doesn't use any GPU activity im looking in Catalyst.

I have the latest radeon series with latest OpenCL support. (R370)

"""My understanding is that the stock codecs are not GPU accelerated, ""

Ah yes, that's a really "small" detail that's obviously not worth mentioning at all by Adobe on the front page of their product.

Makes the whole program worthless for me, good thing I didn't uninstall Sony Vegas 13 which at least uses 20% GPU activity, what a F* waste of time ...

Return to posts index

Ruski Snajper
on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:10:15 pm

""Are you doing something that would actually use the GPU accelerated features?"""

Well, I've just brought a few toothpicks into my room, and 2 glasses of water, one of them has apple cinder vinegar mixed in it, the other one has nascent iodine, on top of my wardrobe is a DIY discone antenna purely from grounding wire that's connected to a DVB-T USB stick for RTLSDR, to the right there's one dirty dish, pliers and some duct tape, oh and there's a leftover bowl from the yesterdays kefir-glutamine-flaxseed-chiaseed-whey-alamond-walnut-hazelnut-cinnamon-stevia-cocoa smoothie, I'm expecting some "GPU acceleration" and I'm not seeing it, what's the problem?

And seriously no, under the desk I have an eATX CoolerMaster case with an Intel Core i7 CPU installed into an ASUS P9X79 Motherboard which also has a Radeon R370 GPU attached to it and on the SSD I have a OS that's called Windows 7 x64 and I also put a program called Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 and I was rendering some HD videos with a codec called H.264 and I'm not expecting any sort of "GPU Acceleration" whatsoever, i'm not really sure what the OP is talking about.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:48:52 pm

I'm really not sure what you we're going with that passive aggressive post there but the answer is still the same: Are you doing something that would use the GPU accelerated features like: scaling, deinterlacing, supported effects, blend modes, color space conversions and some RAW formats support GPU debayering.

Return to posts index

Ruski Snajper
on Sep 1, 2015 at 11:08:52 pm

So, somebody, whoever it was, didn't thought it's worth mentioning that none of the default codecs do any GPU

GPU Acceleration is what I got Adobe Premiere Pro for, because Vegas doesn't appear to use it much either - i believe this is false advertising, i will be returning the product if I don't get this POS working under a month.

I don't do any effects, I shorten the videos, or I combine multiple clips, that's it, so somehow, for some reason that doesn't apply for GPU acceleration, WTF?

I hear some people saying "dump radeon go nvidia", it is still not an excuse this is Adobe's fault and when they display "GPU Acceleration" they should have made it clear which ever brand actually works and displayed notes for what GPU acceleration actually applies to.

Plus, I've seen videos on youtube folks posting reviews of GPU Accelerated encoding and times ... however I'm not sure if they were sure it was actually using GPU since the video I looked at didn't show any ... I had searched web, there was absolutely nothing from Adobe.

Then I happen to find, which usually happens, I find what I need on some hole of the internet when it's already too late, some link that sends me to an adobe website which talks all about GPU acceleration, after 10 links I get here.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Oh so because I happen to have a "too new" GPU, it has OpenCL, I don't understand, since when OPENCL needs per-GPU model code, just ridicolous.

Then I find this one http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/06/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-and-gpu-su...

Which hopefully happens to have this:
This is no longer necessary in Premiere Pro CC. As long as you have a reasonably modern card with at least 1GB of VRAM, you will still be able to enable that card in the Project Settings dialog.

There is no such setting, nor a warning of any "this GPU is not certified".

And the link it sends me to is an old one for CS5

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and...

Which finally says after saying "some effects" etc pretty much nothing that I planned to use for the next year:

It’s worth mentioning one set of things that Premiere Pro doesn’t process using CUDA/OpenCL: encoding and decoding.

Ah it's just worth mentioning in a little small blog post, nothing to worry about, three two one, one two three, what the heck is bothering me.

And the CS5 link send me to CS6 in which says this:

Everything that Premiere Pro CS6 can process with CUDA, with four exceptions:

Fast Blur effect
Gaussian Blur effect
Directional Blur effect
Basic 3D effect

And what can CS6 process with CUDA ?

Oh ... "The only thing added for Premiere Pro CS6 is the Push transition."

So ... they added nothing in CC ?

That's all folks, i'll be back in 50 years counting my retirement savings and happily GPU Accelerating my H.795 codec.

How can you people live with this, I mean, what the heck those little effects that are used in most projects less than 20% and not even all of them to combine that benefit, here and there, not GPU accelerating the actual coded makes in my opinion the whole feature like a tacked on little thing, a really small deal from what the internet was telling me. What a JOKE, how long is H.264 out there, what's going on, is adobe still in 1998 ?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Sep 2, 2015 at 8:08:56 am

[Ruski Snajper] "How can you people live with this"

Premiere (and computer hardware) has come a long way. I'm doing my work on a older iMac and I don't even use the GPU on it. H264 is faster than realtime as are Prores and MXF based codecs that are mostly used in pro productions. I don't know what kind of performance you are expecting from it. Also it's pretty weird that people are staring at CPU and GPU usage and are really concerned that they're not using 100% all the time, because that's not how software uses the available resources.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]