ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Convert 23.976p to 25fps Interlaced (For Broadcast)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Verby
Convert 23.976p to 25fps Interlaced (For Broadcast)
on Jan 7, 2015 at 11:44:46 pm

Hey guys,

We shot a live concert on 5D MKII/550D 23.976p and the band want one of the songs as a music video on broadcast TV.

The fastrax specs request the file in 25fps / Interlaced Top Fields.

There is no time to go back to the original edit and interpret the footage/reedit, so am crossing toes and fingers that one of you guys has a more efficient answer.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Convert 23.976p to 25fps Interlaced (For Broadcast)
on Jan 8, 2015 at 12:47:06 am

From a visual point of view, the best way to do the conversion from 23.976 to 25 is to speed up your footage: instead of playing 23.976 frames per second, you are playing your program at 25 frames per second. Obviously they are disadvantages with this method, one of them being the sound pitch changing. Some software allows you to compensate somewhat for that. I am guessing that might be an issue for your concert recording. The other problem is that if you have a requirement for the finish length of your master, now your program is shorter!

Speeding up your program is pretty straight forward: using Cinematools or Quicktime Edit (Digital Rebellion) you just need to change the flag of your Quicktime movie to 25fps (make sure you make a copy of your 23.976 master first!)

Regarding the interlaced requirement, this is part of the broadcast standard (US and Europe) for HD 1080 show: Just use Adobe Encoder or Compressor to make an interlaced version of your show from the progressive version.

HTH,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 8, 2015 at 5:20:21 am

[David Baud] "Speeding up your program is pretty straight forward: using Cinematools or Quicktime Edit (Digital Rebellion) you just need to change the flag of your Quicktime movie to 25fps (make sure you make a copy of your 23.976 master first!)"

Or use interpret footage in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Gary Verby
on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:48:32 pm

Thank you for the great advice.

I have a 25fps Interlaced export ready, but playback on my iMac is choppy with interlaced field lines. I suppose my question is, if I send this through, will the lines be removed once it is broadcast?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]