ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Which NVidia card to choose?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom LulofsWhich NVidia card to choose?
by on Dec 25, 2014 at 2:53:11 pm

Hey guys!

I'm planning on buying a new nvidia video card for premiere pro editing and a
bit of after effects, but I can't choose between 3 of them that's why I need some advice.
In my country these 3 video are all around the same price so that makes it tougher.

The cards that i can't choose between:

On paper the gtx970 is the newest and the best in benchmarks. But the 770 and the 780 are on
the adobe premiere pro GPU acceleration compatibility list and the 970 not.
So what do you guys advice me?

Thanks alot!

Return to posts index

James KumorekRe: Which NVidia card to choose?
by on Dec 26, 2014 at 2:09:31 pm

Hello Tom,

Most GPU cards will work fine with Premiere whether they are listed as "supported" or not. The Supported list is merely the cards that Adobe has tested with. While out of the box, Premiere will not use cards not on the supported list, you can get around this by deleting the Adobe file that lists the supported cards.

I can't tell you the specific name of the fine for CS6, because I deleted it so that Premiere would use my Quadro K4000 card. But look for text files in the Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (or whatever version you are using) with the letters GPU in it and I think you'll figure out which it is. Delete (or rename) it, and Premiere will use your card.

Of course, if you call Adobe with a GPU issue and you're not using a supported card, you may not get much help. But I've had no problem using my "unsupported" K4000, and my K2000M in my laptop, with Adobe products.

One thing I suggest you watch out for is the noise level of the GPU card. I had tried one lower-cost card whose fans were so loud I had to do all my video editing with headphones. I eventually got rid of it because it was so loud. My Quadro K4000 card is far more powerful, and is pretty much silent.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Tom LulofsRe: Which NVidia card to choose?
by on Dec 26, 2014 at 2:22:28 pm

Hey James,

Thank you for your response.
I already saw something on the internet about that. Adding your gpu card to the supported list but I just got a little bit scared of that.
The Quadro k4000 is a great gpu but a little bit too expensive for me.
So what do you advice? Just get the best card even tough it's not supported?
If so I'm thinking of buying the gtx 970

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved