ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is de-interlacing a interlace timeline a one or two step process?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul DoughertyIs de-interlacing a interlace timeline a one or two step process?
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 1:08:15 am

I've been asking around - is de-interlacing a interlace timeline for a progressive deliverable a one or two step process?

Is it enough to edit together the interlace footage and merely export as Progressive?

If that is the case when does one have to additionally go into Field Options for every clip in the TL and set each for "Always Deinterlace" ?

It's really important that I get this right and want to be absolutely sure I understand this.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Jorn BergmansRe: Is de-interlacing a interlace timeline a one or two step process?
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:50:45 am

Hi Paul,

Editing together a timeline with Interlaced footage and exporting as Progressive will not always do the trick - you are merely telling the program to output a Progressive video this way. This means it will put out a file without fields, but it won't 'merge' the fields in your original footage together.

To 'merge' those fields, you will need to de-interlace your footage. You can either do this ahead of time, making new files to edit your video with, or indeed set a de-interlace setting / effect on the footage in your timeline (like the "Always Deinterlace" option)
This will tell your editing software to interpolate between fields and turn them into progressive frames again, which you can then export as a progressive video with progressive content.

Return to posts index

Paul DoughertyRe: Is de-interlacing a interlace timeline a one or two step process?
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 2:00:54 pm

Hi Jorn,

Thanks, your explanation makes sense. Re. "always deinterlace" I just want to confirm that this is something you can only do in the Timeline on a individual clip basis?

I'm hoping it would be so much easier to apply en masse *or* netter still set for the source footage.

But if it's clip-by-clip I'll do it and write up a feature request.

Best,

Paul

p.s. Knowing how easy this was to do in FCP7 makes the idea of bulk converting the footage beforehand pretty unappetizing

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Is de-interlacing a interlace timeline a one or two step process?
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 2:41:47 pm

Hi Paul,

I've been editing 480i (NTSC) and 1080i footage for years, and when I export for the web, I just choose a Progressive preset and the results look fine to me. Whether there is a better or more correct procedure, I can't say, but I have not had to de-interlace in the timeline.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Paul DoughertyRe: Is de-interlacing a interlace timeline a one or two step process?
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 2:51:46 pm

Thanks Jeff, good to know.

You inspired me to do an a/b test with FCP because I was unsure about my results and it begs the question "just how good" can I expect interlace original to look converted to progressive

Paul

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Is de-interlacing a interlace timeline a one or two step process?
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 6:24:49 pm

[Paul Dougherty] "want to be absolutely sure I understand this"

here you go: enjoy the reading! http://lurkertech.com/lg/fields/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]