ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Flash Animation into Premier Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scotty Hell
Flash Animation into Premier Pro
on Dec 2, 2014 at 4:32:18 pm

Hello Creative Cows Friends,

I'm working on project that has live action footage with animation on top of the footage from Adobe Flash. The Flash project resolution setting was set at 1026x768 at 24fps. All the footage was shot at 1080p/24fps. We got some archive footage and the frame rate was 30fps.

The animator would down res. the footage to work on his Mac Book Pro. I not sure what he down res'd the footage.

I create the project in Premier at 1026x276 and convert the footage to that resolution and 24fps frame rate, and begin to lay the footage out on the timeline, then import the animation files (png), none of the animation is in the correct spot. Too Small and wrong location...

Can anybody please help figure out how to make the animation fit on the footage in Premier? I can eyeball the whole thing, but there should be a better way.

I never used 1026x768 res. I believe it's from the old 4x3 TV ratio, so this maybe the issue. IDK???

Thanks so much for your any knowledge!!!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Flash Animation into Premier Pro
on Dec 2, 2014 at 6:40:39 pm

There are a lot details to wade through.

NTSC video, the live action, is not actually 30fps or 24fps. It is 30/1.001 or 29.97 and 24/1.001 or 23.976.

Your first step in this process is to use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode everything to exact identical everything: codec, format, frame rate. Your transcode will depend on what your final deliverable is, so you need to know that first. It sounds like you are delivering to "kiosks" or "touchscreen" stuff, which are not video (YUV), they are graphics (RGB). This means you might have to transcode and export a few ways to test what looks best at the final deliverable experience for the audience/consumers.

When I did a similar job (for 4 years!), I used After Effects, not Premiere. I recommend AE because of the differences between a compositing program and a non-linear editor. Having said that (after you transcode) you will need to use the Effects Controls in Premiere (again: i recommend AE), to scale and position the graphics.

Also...if the animator is sending you low-res stuff then take a few moments to consider how you will replace the low rez with the high rez. Unfortunately, it is not as straightforward as we want it to be.

PS 1026x768 is not old Standard Def TV. Standard Def TV is 720x480. 1024x768 is an old computer graphics spec (any one want to play Lemmings? :)

Return to posts index

Scotty Hell
on Dec 2, 2014 at 7:10:37 pm

Hey Richard,
Thanks so much. I'll trans-coding everything in Adobe Media Encoder, then go in Premier. I don't know how to use Adobe After Effects.
My deliverable are not specified, but I would like to use the highest res. possible. Then, I'll scale and position the animation graphics.

It's not a touchscreen project.

"1024x768 is an old computer graphics spec (any one want to play Lemmings?" HAHA

Do you know the newest computer graphic specs?

Many Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:51:10 am

[Scotty Hell] "My deliverable are not specified, but I would like to use the highest res. possible."

It's perfectly reasonable to ask the client what they need delivered, in exact detail: running time, image size, codec, format, frame rate, bit rate.

The computer graphic specs change depending on the exact monitor and video card, in a particular device. For example, delivering a picture to a Las Vegas style marquee is probably still 1024x768 because the screens are giant, but also the scaler inside those machines can create a picture and picture, and if that happens, then those image sizes need to be created.

The latest and greatest computer graphic specs depend on the particular application. I am using dual monitors at 2560x1440, for After Effects, Premiere, etc. Apparently, there is a new iMac with some pretty crazy image size. My iPhone is different than that, but it's pretty decent. The iPad is different again. And so on. Companies like Vimeo and YouTube have "flip factories" on their backend that created the video needed for each device, each browser, each bitrate -- very fancy!

Return to posts index

Scotty Hell
on Dec 4, 2014 at 6:20:24 pm

Hey Richard,
Thanks again, for all your help. I couldn't get one segment to match the animation with footage. I should have farmed the project to out to someone that uses After Effects, as you recommend. After studying AE, it would have been the better choice to use.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:44:51 am

Any time.

AE is not that tough. It's super deep and there is no end to it, but the initial stuff is pretty easy to use. Give it a try :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]