ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

metadata for "date created missing"

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Angle
metadata for "date created missing"
on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:54:24 pm

Why is there no metadata included for my "date created" field in the metadata display? I'd like to sort the contents of a large bin by the order in which the files were shot, but my "date created" metadata fields are all blank.

Thanks all.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: metadata for "date created missing"
on Apr 2, 2013 at 2:57:16 am

Right click the metadata columns and edit them. Date created will be an option under the "basic" group.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:30:37 am

I have "Date Created" selected as one of my columns. The "Date Created" data fields for all clips in my bin are blank. This is my question. I would like to be able to sort my bin footage in the order in which it was shot. The AF100 camera recording date/time info should be embedded within the metadata, correct? There simply is no metadata info in the "Date Created" fields.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:44:58 pm

Hi Richard,

Not sure if this has anything to do with your issue, but look under Edit > Preferences > Media

There is a checkbox for "Write XMP data on Import" and most folks like to turn that OFF, could be changing the date on you. Anyway, not a good idea to modify any of that and not sure why ON is the default.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:28:57 am

Hi Jeff. No dice, man. I unchecked the import XMP and all unfortunately remains the same. Please allow me to further clarify exactly what I am doing here as far as workflow. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I import my entire AVCHD folder structure from the root folder into Premiere cs6 via the Media Browser. I navigate to the project panel and click on the imported root folder. All of my .mts file are shown in list mode. I right on one of the headers and choose metadata. I place a check mark next to the "Date Created" and hit ok. Look at the "date created" row for all mts clips and they are all blank. Come to think of it, I'm not so sure if any metadata is coming over into premiere from my files. I get fields like in points outpoints, duration, date modified etc... But I'm not seeing any of the information that relates to the shoot itself. Any help is appreciated as I am truly stumped. I really need to be able to sort my bins by the original camera shooting date and time.

Thanks all.

Return to posts index

Doug Poll
on Apr 10, 2013 at 1:08:01 pm

Hi Richard,

I am new to both AVCHD and Premiere Pro, but if it helps I shoot with a Lumix GH2 and the date only shows up in Premiere Pro CS6 for the stills that I shoot with this camera. I get no information for the video clips (AVCHD). I use the same method to import as you. I read somewhere that this data is not recorded in AVCHD mode only in MPEG mode. I do not know if this camera specific.

Best regards
Doug

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Apr 10, 2013 at 11:15:09 pm

Ahhh!!! Thanks so much, Doug. I think that explains it! Must be an AVCHD issue. I shoot AVCHD on both the Panasonic AF100 and the GH2 and they both have the same issue with the missing date created data field. I just assumed the error was on the side of Premiere Pro. Thanks for chiming in, man.

This is a bit frustrating, however. So am I to accept that there is simply no way to sort my hundreds of documentary clips by the date and time in which they were shot? This is my primary sorting order. Oh boy. What to do now? And it doesn't help that literally several dozen of my files are all called 0000. mts. And another 3 dozen named 0001.mts. etc.... GOOD GRIEF!

Pardon me folks, but these types of minor buggy limitations with this software is simply astounding to me. I am currently building a bug report longer than the wall of China on this Premiere Pro package. The new FCP alternative? Yes. There is no other logical choice to me. The toolmaker that FCP used to be? Unfortunately, no. Perhaps Premiere Pro 7 will fill in the blanks. But maybe FCP11 will do the same? ;)

Thanks all,
Richard Angle

Richard Angle

Return to posts index

Michael Brinson
on Oct 7, 2013 at 7:13:07 am

I'm dealing with the same issue Richard. I can't express my sentiments any better than you already did:

[Richard Angle] "Pardon me folks, but these types of minor buggy limitations with this software is simply astounding to me."

Return to posts index

Mike Gurfield
on May 8, 2014 at 5:12:02 pm

I'm having a similar issue in Premiere CC. I have a whole slew of WAV files to sync with RED shots, and the audio engineer embedded shot and scene metadata in the WAVs. In premiere, the metadata for Scene is blank and for Shot is a fill-in box. Reel is also empty, but I'm less concerned with that. These three columns display perfectly in FCP 7. Is there a way to show this data without me having to go one by one through the hundreds of files and add it myself (yeah user error!).

Thanks.

Mike

Return to posts index

Gregoire Dupond
on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:45:45 am

Something I can suggest about sorting by date (and avoiding repeating file names as 0000.MTS nay times).
It is to rename first your files using creation date of the file, as:
YYYMMDD_HHMMSS.*
20140724_134407.MTS etc
I know how to do that in OSX but not windows…

Has anyone managed otherwise to display the actual file creation date as a metadata column?

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Jul 26, 2014 at 4:13:07 am

Mike, Could be wrong here but I think the problem with renaming .mts files is that it breaks the link to the embedded mystery files in the AVCHD structure. Which in turn, destroys any connection to the important metadata that is really there that Premiere unfortunately chose to ignore.

I've had the recent opportunity to move forward to the CC 2014 release and give her a test run. Gotta say that I'm still scratching my head. I'm of the strong opinion that the fine folks at Adobe need to hire some experienced long-form FCP/AVID editors to do a little pre-release testing on their projects before putting their current price tags on the box.

I've said it before. Premiere CS6 was, in my opinion, released far too early due to the pressure of taking the silver platter from the idiots at Apple FCPX. I sucked it up and prayed for a better re-release because I want so bad to support this. But CC comes along and it's the same old box of chaotic bugs. I'm pretty disappointed with Adobe these days for failing TWICE to step in as our savior. And Apple should be ashamed of themselves for pulling the rug out underneath millions of loyal FCP professionals who loved them like a brother.

Its PC from here on out for me. Y'all please excuse the rant.

Richard Angle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]