ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro does not appear to be nondestructive

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
Premiere Pro does not appear to be nondestructive
on May 3, 2012 at 3:19:37 am

I was under the impression that Premiere Pro CS5.5 was supposed to be completely nondestructive.

However, as soon I important a clip, the on-disk information for the file changes--both the "Date Modified" and the "File Size" changes. This wreaks havoc on my backup routine. I assume it is just writing Metadata. Is there a way to change this behavior?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Premiere Pro does not appear to be nondestructive
on May 3, 2012 at 4:31:51 am

In Preferences > Media, you may want to turn off "Write XMP ID To Files On Import" as this, at the least writes a metadata "serial number" to your asset files that allows Premiere to cache/conform your assets properly. For instance, if you have data on an external drive and copy it to an internal RAID, Premiere can compare the serial and understand that the conform files are still in the cache and skip rebuilding them.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSAB1EDD0E-ADC2-4a10-B399-...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3009053 gives some more in-depth info on the process as a whole.

Also worth turning off is "Enable Clip And XMP Metadata Linking". There is some metadata-like info (for instance you can rate your asset or leave log notes) that are stored in your project file. Leaving this option checked will make Premiere also sync the corresponding XMP metadata field.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on May 4, 2012 at 10:21:50 am

Thanks Angelo. What do you think is the better practice?

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on May 6, 2012 at 9:41:16 pm

Well Tony, what is your back-up routine like that you're shying away from wanting to modify files? Maybe it's worth moving to program where it does incremental sync/backups instead of re-writing the whole file (it writes what is called a delta, or the part of the file that has changed or been added). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_synchronization_software anything that has a "Yes" in the delta copying column is worth a look.

Personally, I like to keep metadata settings turned on. I use a lot of metadata in my workflow be it script notes or keywords that help me make a client edit session go more quickly. I hate having them go "do you have the one clip where we..." and taking 5 minutes to find it.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on May 7, 2012 at 11:10:00 am

Angelo,

I create two backup copies of all imported assets using Syncback.

I rely on the backups to verify that the files have not been damages.

The so-called delta copying method would keep the files in sync using less bandwidth than traditional backups, but bandwidth is not my concern here.

My concern is to have a way to make sure that the files have not been damaged, and once Premiere touches a file there is no way to know.

I come from a photography background, and I use Lightroom which stores all metadata in a catalogue file, or if you prefer in "sidecar files" and doesn't touch the underlying photos.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on May 9, 2012 at 3:58:04 pm

So you're basically using the original file as a status check for bad data.

Premiere will do .XMP sidecar files on some footage like P2 or RED files, I believe, but it isn't an "always the case" setting.

Alternately, if you turn those original two settings off, then you can still add metadata-like information to each clip that lives exclusively in the Premiere project file. If you're a lone wolf, it could be sufficient, but if data is going to multiple people, I would still lean towards an embedded metadata solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]