ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

FCP User, Exploring PrP: Workflow for XDCamEX capture question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
FCP User, Exploring PrP: Workflow for XDCamEX capture question
on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:41:10 pm

I shoot on an EX-1. I really got to liking the Log and Transfer in FCP. I could preview my clips, set audio or video capture and ingest the footage to my scratch disks to a custom media folder.

Playing around in Premiere, I was able to import clips with the camera connected but then it's just reading the media off the camera. What have you found to be the best workflow? Do you copy the BPAV folder as is over to your local drive and import it from there or are you using XDCAM transfer. Is there a good way to preview a clip before bringing it into PrP?

Have you been able to batch re-connect the files after taking them off-line? What about only the ones needed for a sequence? That's one of the features that I really like about FCP's Log and Transfer: I can put my card backup into the computer and L&T will "batch capture" only the clips I need for the sequence.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: FCP User, Exploring PrP: Workflow for XDCamEX capture question
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:09:28 am

Isn't the question, where do you want to store your raw footage before bringing it in? I move all footage to a "raw footage"folder,usually on a RAID 1 drive, then choose what to bring in. I never work off the card. Too risky.

If you want to create clips from there you can. Apparently, you can even copy to a dvd and work off that.

Or am i missing something?

Alf

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
Re: FCP User, Exploring PrP: Workflow for XDCamEX capture question
on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:27:50 pm

That's not quite what I meant. Have Premiere users found it best to just copy over the whole BPAV folder to your media drive? If you do that, is there a good way to preview a clip before you import? And once your project is done and the media is deleted, what is your workflow for bringing it back on-line if you need it again.

My current workflow in FCP works very well. I backup the camera's card to an optical disc. I use Log and Transfer to preview and import only the clips I need - not importing bad takes. I can even specify to only import audio if I have voice tracks and don't need the video. Once my edit is done, I can delete the media. If I need to re-link the media files - I just select the sequence, choose batch capture and FCP tells me to insert my backup disc and it only re-imports the clips needed for the selected sequence.

So here's the abbreviated version of my question:

Does Premiere have a way to:

1. Preview clips before importing into a project?

2. Select In and Out points before importing the entire clip? Or only import audio from a clip?

3. Batch re-import only the media necessary for a specific sequence?

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]