ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Control Surface support for Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
Control Surface support for Premiere Pro
on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:18:40 pm

As a final cut editor contemplating making the switch, about the only thing holding me back is support for audio mixing on an external control surface. BY FAR, the piece of equipment that has made the most difference to me for editing is my Tascam FW-1082.

Although it's a discontinued item, (booo!) I can't imagine editing and mixing audio without it.

All the NLE's suffer from inefficient audio control and having an external physical surface has made all the difference.

Is there any control surface support for PrP for automated audio mixing?

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Control Surface support for Premiere Pro
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:48:04 pm

There is no control surface for Premiere Pro, however, there is for Adobe Audition. You can make a feature request for control surfaces inside of Premiere Pro here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Gaudio
on Dec 10, 2011 at 5:10:05 pm

Hi Kevin,

I'm another soon-to-be FCP-to-PPro switcher. Have CS5.5 and for the life of me can't find anywhere in Audition where the control surface can be activated. Using help in Audition doesn't even come up with the phrase "control surface." I have the iPad app AC-7 Core and am using it successfully in FCP and STP, but would like to use it in Audition as well (it has a mode for Audition, so obviously it's meant to work there). Yet it doesn't respond when I'm in the Audition app, which usually means I have to activate a command somewhere in the program for it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cheers,

David

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:10:47 pm

I tried my 1082 with Audition. The Mackie and the other driver doesnt talk to it. And since it was discontinued, Tascam has no drivers for it. We are screwed.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

David Gaudio
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:55:45 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply; however unfortunate it may be. I've since dumped my interest in the FW-1082, as I just got an iMac that doesn't really support it anyway (only having one FW 800 port, which would mean I'd have to dumb it down to 400 to use it with the 1082 and thus daisy chaining it to any 800 drives would then make them half as useful). I've since gotten hold of an iPad app, the AC-7, which quite honestly does just as good a job of commanding levels as the 1082 did - and it costs less than $10 (assuming you already have an iPad, of course)! So now I'm just hoping that the next version of Audition (CS 6) will be back on track to supporting control surfaces. If so, all will be good.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:35:15 pm

You are welcome David. Im hoping that as I leave the Apple realm for a more powerful PC Im hopeful to find Mackie drivers that will support it.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Stephen Vidano
on Jun 24, 2012 at 10:13:21 pm

Tom, I just saw your post on not being able to get your TASCAM FW-1082 to work with Audition and I thought I'd respond back to you.

I GOT MINE TO WORK WITH AUDITION!

I'm pretty psyched.

I'm a long time AVID user (12 years), then switched over to FCP (8 years), and am now switching over to PP. Gulp.

The range of emotions have been all over the board. But I am back to being encouraged after being able to get my TASCAM FW-1082 to work with Audition.

First I went to this website to get the latest updates for it. (You probably already have these because it is still relatively old. Mac OSX installer 1.70 is the latest and it was posted in 2010.)

But anyway...I had not done the install. So here it is.
http://tascam.com/product/fw-1082/downloads/

Then I made sure that my TASCAM FW-1082 was in "Computer" control (on the right side of the mixer next to the "MIDI CTRL" button).

Then I clicked "Control Panel" on the right side of the mixer. It opened up the TASCAM FW-1082 Manager window. Under the "settings" tab, inside the "Control Protocol" box area I clicked on the pull down menu and chose "Mackie Control Emulation." ** This is key considering that Audition only gives you a few software / hardware companies to "marry" with inside of Audition.

Then I went into the Audition Preferences / Audio Hardware and chose by default Input and default Output to be the TASCAM FW-1082. Same with "Master Clock", etc.

Then I went into the Audition Preferences / Control Surface and chose "Device Class - Mackie."

Then I clicked "configure" and I clicked "Add."

Under "Device Type" I chose "Mackie Control"

** HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART.
Under "MIDI Input Device" choose the "Control Port" option. It should say "TASCAM FW-1082 FW-1082 Control Port."
Same for the "MIDI Output Device".

Then click OK...OK, etc. and your Audition DAW should work with your TASCAM FW-1082 control surface right away.

Let me know how this goes for you.

I was TOTALLY PSYCHED about this.

Stephen Vidano
TuneSociety.com
"Set Your Music Free"

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 24, 2012 at 10:17:50 pm

Congrats Stephen! Well done.

I am soon to be relocated to the PC so Im not sure if this wonderful discovery you made will help me out on that platform.

However, I applaud your success!

I would really prefer it to work in Premiere since I really like to do all my work there. Its easier to accommodate for revision in the NLE then in Audition.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Stephen Vidano
on Jun 24, 2012 at 10:51:52 pm

"I would really prefer it to work in Premiere since I really like to do all my work there."

Tom, I totally agree.

I really like using a control surface to record keyframes with in my NLE audio tracks (previously FCP). So, I was really disappointed when I found out PP doesn't support control surfaces.

I'm REALLY hoping this is fixed in their next release.

Stephen Vidano
TuneSociety.com
"Set Your Music Free"

Return to posts index

Stephen Vidano
on Jun 24, 2012 at 11:24:21 pm

Tom, just wondering what some of your reasoning is for switching to PC? Are you feeling you'll get more power for the apps you are going to be using?

Stephen Vidano
TuneSociety.com
"Set Your Music Free"

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 24, 2012 at 11:36:36 pm

Stephen, this article sums up the reasons...

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/hello-pc-the-journey-to-mac-and-bac...

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Stephen Vidano
on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:32:37 am

Thanks for sharing your article Tom. It's amazing how similar our paths have been with editing. I too started on the CMX...then AVID...the FCP.

The "trust" issue with Apple is HUGE. I am right there.

The hardware issue is also a question for me. And I'm wondering how big of a difference the PC hardware really makes compared to what I have available with Mac?

I saw your post about not being able to pull the trigger yet.

I'm going to be following closely to hear what you learn.

Please keep me informed. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Stephen Vidano
TuneSociety.com
"Set Your Music Free"

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 25, 2012 at 12:52:54 pm

I will keep you posted. Actually, things are looking up. Im getting the funds necessary for the purchase through unexpected channels. So maybe that PC will become a reality soon.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

tom driggers
on Sep 23, 2012 at 11:01:14 pm

I am using a FW-1082 with Adobe Audition CS6 on a PC. Tascam has drivers for Windows 7 64 bit.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 24, 2012 at 1:45:40 am

Thank you for that info, Tom. I on an HP Z820 now and that is wonderful news. I would prefer to mix with it in Premiere like I could with FCP, but its good to have just in case.

Tom Daigon

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

tom driggers
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:21:23 am

It's working good for Adobe Audition. Just to be specific about this it does not work for Premiere. However, Audition has an Audio For Video standard layout that should work well. I am still researching control surfaces for Premiere.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 24, 2012 at 1:27:14 pm

I

[tom driggers] "Just to be specific about this it does not work for Premiere."

Yes, I do understand that and since I do all of my mixing in Premiere as opposed to Audition (easier to make revisions on the project that way) that is why I wished Premiere would work as well. From my research it wont happen in Premiere until the hooks are created for a control surface.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

tom driggers
on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:05:19 pm

Hopefully Adobe is working on this. I have been asking them for years to have control surface support for Audition. Now I need to bug then about Premiere. I attend the Adobe Max Conferences every year so that will be on my list of things to talk to the tech support and deveolpers about.

Return to posts index

Stephen Vidano
on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:13:22 pm

Tom Driggers, I'm with you all the way.

FCP had no problem accessing external control surfaces.

I'm really hoping that Premiere's new update adds more functionality.

Stephen Vidano
TuneSociety.com
"Set Your Music Free"

Return to posts index

Stephen Vidano
on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:11:31 pm

So, Tom Daigon...I asked you (a while back) about your new PC set up that you were pursuing. You sent me a link to an article you wrote about the process. But you hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

Now I see that you are on a PC (in your signature). Are you pleased? Have you written an article on the final acquisition and how it's gone?

I'd love to hear when you have a moment.

Stephen Vidano

Stephen Vidano
TuneSociety.com
"Set Your Music Free"

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:13:23 pm

Hi Stephen. Yes, Im am up an running with the HP Z820 PC. My software was been cross-graded from Mac to PC, in many cases for free. Details like needed utilities for security, backup, etc. are also in place. I had some challenges with the raid I originally purchased (Caldigit) and I returned it for a wonderful system from Dulce. Its the DQg2 16TB. raid and it performs at about 1100/MB/sec. read and about 1000/MB sec. write for 1080P media.
Unfortunately business has been almost nonexistent here in Las Vegas, so Ive been using it to expand and enhance match moving, tracking and composting skills. Its very fast and powerful.

Thanks for asking.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]