ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Just Switched from FCP - Workflow Hiccups

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gates Bradley
Just Switched from FCP - Workflow Hiccups
on Sep 16, 2011 at 5:52:24 pm

I've a list of seemingly little things that I am having a really hard time trying to figure out in Premiere as I try and make the transition from FCP. Little things, but all together are really impeding my workflow.

I've gone through help files for these things, to no avail. Sometimes there just not knowing where to find the keyboard shortcut to remap it in the Keyboard Customization. Much appreciated any help that someone can offer!

1) is there a way to get your tools to snap to edits, not just the edge of clips? It's kind of frustrating to have to land the blade tool on a frame-precise place to edit it. In FCP, with snapping on, you just need it in the general vicinity.

2) Speaking of snapping - is it's strength adjustable? It's very weak in Premiere compared to FCP, and is annoying.

3) Another snap question - if I have a clip marker and I want to line it up to a timeline marker, is there a way to get those to snap?

4) Another marker question - how to display the marker info in the project pane? I didn't see the option in the keyboard shortcut menu, nor in the project panel menu. For instance, I have a bunch of markers in a the timeline that mark the beginning of certain acts, and have labeled them as such, but don't know how to see that info when I skip do the marker unless I go to edit the marker info again.

5) Is there a way to use a keyboard shortcut to apply a default transition to a clip that isn't adjacent to another clip. Any clip edge in FCP can have a crossfade added to it with the simple keyboard shortcut CMD+T. In Premiere, I can't do it on clips that are, for instance, on a track above the clip i'm fading into.

6) Is there a way through a keyboard shortcut to skip ahead one second? I know you can five frames, but often times I need to do things that are second-specific, and it's nice to have the keyboard to just count it out.

Again, little things. So simple, I would think they'd be easily worked out, but am having a hard time with it. Not even sure if they can be. I don't think I've ever appreciated FCP more (or hated Apple for FCPX more), haha! But that's growing pains.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Just Switched from FCP - Workflow Hiccups
on Sep 16, 2011 at 7:37:06 pm

I'm the guy that writes the Help, so if you couldn't find your answers there, let me see what I can do for you.

1. If you get close enough to the playhead with the razor tool, it will cut at the position of the playhead. If that is not accurate enough, use the Add Edit command. CMD+K or Shift+CMD+K for all tracks.

2. Snap will be stronger when holding down the Shift key while dragging near edits, markers, etc.

3. They snap on my Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac system, no trouble. You have to make sure the Snapping button is enabled on the timeline (magnet button).

4. I don't think you can have marker info in the Project panel. If you roll over the marker, you can see a tool tip with marker info, if you like. Make a feature request for marker info in the Project panel if you want that function: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

5. Make sure the V2 track is selected and the playhead is parked on the beginning or end of the clip, and then type CMD+D.

6. There is no shortcut in Premiere Pro that will be like Shift right/left arrow in FCP. If you want to go forward 1:00, click in the timecode display and type +100+Enter and your playhead will move forward a second. Again, make a feature request if that workaround won't work for you.

Hope that helps.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 16, 2011 at 7:50:51 pm

On point #3 note that cmd+D adds a video dissolve. Shift+Cmd+D adds an audio dissolve. Use the page-up/page-down keys to jump between edits on any active (hilighted) track.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Sep 16, 2011 at 8:35:43 pm

You, sir, are a god among men. I can't thank you enough.

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Sep 16, 2011 at 8:47:13 pm

Again, thank you for your response, but I fear I erred when describing question #4. I wrote that I wanted to see marker information in the "project" panel. I meant to say "program" panel. I'm getting my 'P" panels mixed up.

Basically though, the issue is I created a marker, and I labelled it. I wanted to know how to be able to view that label. When I skip to the marker, I don't see anything. It defeats the point of labelling a marker if you can't see what you've labelled it. But I imagine it's just a setting somewhere that I am unaware of.

Again, thank you for your detailed responses. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Sep 16, 2011 at 8:59:22 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "5. Make sure the V2 track is selected and the playhead is parked on the beginning or end of the clip, and then type CMD+D."

First off, I apologize for posting reply after reply. Poor form, I know. But, in regards to this issue, I still do not seem to be able to make it work. I've posted an image of my timeline. As you'll see, I have both video tracks selected (though I've tried this with only track 1 selected as well). My CTI is on my edit, the clip is selected, but still I can not apply the transition.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 17, 2011 at 12:06:55 am

Ah yes, sorry about that. I mapped the Add Default Transition shortcut as CMD+D. The command currently does not have a shortcut assigned. Go into Premiere Pro>Keyboard Shortcuts and map the command to the keys you like and give it another shot.

You'll find yourself assigning a lot of your own shortcuts in Premiere Pro, so have at it!

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:44:17 am

It's still not working for me. I know my keyboard shortcuts are mapped properly. I can even select Sequence>Apply Default Transition and nothing happens. However, when I drag the transition from the effects window, it works fine (my default transition is cross dissolve).

Not sure what else I could be missing, but at least the option is no longer greyed out in the menu bar.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:55:13 pm

You may have to reset preferences. I have found that the CMD+D shortcut is the one with the default shortcuts and they are working fine for me in Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
on Sep 19, 2011 at 10:44:28 pm

Again, you are correct sir. I reset the keyboard shortcuts to the default and it works intuitively, with the exact functionality I was hoping for. Sweet relief!

Gonna dig around and see why when set to Final Cut shortcuts this function changes.

Thanks again Kevin! You are one patient dude.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 12:00:37 am

Any time Gates!

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Garrett Hestla
on May 25, 2012 at 8:27:34 pm

I'm having the same problem with CS6 and dissolves. I can drag them from the panel and they work fine. I cannot get the shortcut keys to work at all, FCP7 or Default.

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Mar 24, 2013 at 1:58:16 am

double click on the edit between the two clips to move your playhead marker there, then keyboard shortcut cmd-d

Return to posts index

Ally Shore
on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:21:25 am

Hi Gates,
I''m having the exact issue you did. For some reason in the default settings the command-d works, but nothing you set it to in the custom settings will get the default transition to work. (ie: command-t) Did you ever find an answer?

thanks
Ally

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]