ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Changing audio bit rate from 16 to 8?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Heuer
Changing audio bit rate from 16 to 8?
on May 31, 2011 at 1:22:16 pm

Hello. I have to export Media to Mpeg 2 format with Mpeg Layer 2 audio. The software that airs our stuff won't play any sound if the audio file has 16 bit encoding. I am trying to find a way to set, or change my audio to 8 bit for export from Premiere CS5.5. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
Re: Changing audio bit rate from 16 to 8?
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:17:24 pm

I talked to Adobe support. As of now there is no way to change the audio sample size. I filled out a Feature Request... let's hope!

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 8, 2011 at 7:26:35 pm

Hi Chris,

I saw your post the other day and did not respond because I was at a loss...no one uses 8-bit audio for anything that I'm aware of, everything is at least 16-bit. Are you sure you were given the correct spec requirements?

20 years ago I had a Commodore Amiga and bought a little sound digitizer add-on that I think connected via parallel port, and it captured 8-bit, but the sound quality was not very good at all, it was just a novelty.

Adobe actually up-samples all the audio that you bring in - I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an update that decreases the quality.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:44:23 am

Now you are feeling my pain! This is a small, independent cable provider in SE North Carolina. I came down to head up a Commercial Production dept... and live by the beach. The beach part is going well!

This crap gear that airs the local origination content is by Adtec. I'd love them to update these specs from mpeg2 to H.264 and 16 bit audio. My life would be much easier. Until then, I'm trying to streamline the workflow as much as possible, but there are soooo many limitations (and of course, progress is really making us obsolete). If I didn't have my own editing and VFX software, I'd be posting spots on a Video Toaster... yeah.

Sorry if I sound a touch bitter, this subject wears me out! Thanks for the reply though!

C

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:49:11 am

Just re-read your response. The part about "are the specs I have correct". I will call Adtec. The reason I say 16 bit won't work is because the files I have tried to air with 16 bit audio play video with no sound. I change the setting to 8 bit and they play fine. If there is a setting we can tweak in the hardware, I don't know about it, but will check.

Thanks for making me step back from this a bit and think. I don't have much hope yet, but will try!

C

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Nathan Adam
on Jun 26, 2011 at 9:58:25 am

Hmmm, double and triple check your specs, that CAN'T be right.
8 bit audio would either sound like noisy garbage, or have zero dynamic range....I have never heard or conceived of an 8 bit sample size as a delivery spec. :)

Return to posts index

Chris Knight
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:33:11 am

I've had to export a video for an AdTec Duet box, many moons ago...the trick was to select TS from the Multiplexer tab (in export settings). Audio worked fine after that. Give it a try.

Audio should remain 16-bit, 48Khz.

The only 8-bit reference should be for the video data (which MPEG-2 is).

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:13:22 pm

I will check! Thanks so much.

C

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Chris Heuer
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:11:08 pm

It works! Thanks a million. This will save me so much time!

Chris

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]