ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Playback lagging premiere Pro CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier AyalaPlayback lagging premiere Pro CS4
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 4:38:05 am

I recently started using premiere pro cs4 again and when I place a clip into the timeline it has a yellow bar over the clip. The preview video freezes and stutters like crazy. I am using footage shot on a Canon T3i converted to apple ProRes 422 LT. I'm assuming I have to use a different codec but would like to know which I can use so that playback will not lag and one that will be very little quality loss. I am editing on a mac.

2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo
8GB 1067 DDR3
NVIDIA Geforce 9400 256 Mb

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Playback lagging premiere Pro CS4
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 1:53:18 pm

Sorry to say, you will not get good performance with that setup -

• The processor is old/slow
  • You don't have enough RAM
  • Premiere CS4 is several years old (and doesn't support GPU acceleration)
  • Your video card does not provide GPU acceleration (see previous)
  • And I would guess you are using a single (system) hard drive as well?

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Javier AyalaRe: Playback lagging premiere Pro CS4
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 3:16:10 pm

Thank you, Jeff this actually saved me a bit of money. I was going to upgrade to Adobe cc in the next few months, and by the sounds of it I wouldn't have been able to use it. I'm not in a place where I can buy a new computer so I'll just continue using FCP for now. I wanted to switch back to Premiere because of the dynamic linking since I do go back and forth from my NLE and After Effect. I know that you lose quality going back and forth, is there any ideal workflow when going between the two?

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Playback lagging premiere Pro CS4
by on May 4, 2016 at 4:45:05 pm

If you use ProRes (or another "lossless" codec) as an intermediate codec, you will experience virtually no quality loss for several exports going between the two programs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]