ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Basic Edit & Keyboard Customization ??s

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hartel
Basic Edit & Keyboard Customization ??s
on Sep 29, 2010 at 10:44:51 pm

OMG. Help.

These will seem very simple, but I'm going to type them up anyway in the hope that the answers will serve not just me, but others engaged in the same effort.

To begin (and in my own defense by way of excuse) I AM a professional editor, expert in Avid and Final Cut. I watched the Premiere Pro training (CS5) on Lynda.com, but that's most of the extent of my experience with this. I have been hired to re-edit a feature originally cut by the director on Premiere Pro CS3 (on a PC.) He's upgraded to CS5. He's got 2 video tracks, and 24 audio tracks.

Here are my questions, in no particular order.

I want to customize the keyboard.

1.) Does Premiere let you customize the same way Avid and FCP do?

2.) Can I pull up a keyboard image, and drag and drop icons, etc, to customize key functions?

3.) Is there a "mark clip" option? Where is it? Can I keyboard it to one keystroke?

3a.)What about Go To In, Out, Clear In, Out, etc. Same deal: I don't want any Control H, Option H, whatever, I want one key = one action. I'd love to set this up visually, dragging and dropping commands on keys; if I can't, and I'm beginning to suspect I can't, I'd like the next simplest way to get this done.

4.) Is there any way to mark In and Out and then CUT (Ripple Delete in PP) or LIFT, ALL tracks at once, without having to individually click-select every infernal clip in the timeline tracks?

4a. Is there a way to add an edit (cut) to all tracks at once without having to use the razor tool to individually cut each clip?

4b.) Is there a way to SYNC LOCK all tracks, so the edit doesn't slip out of sync? How?

I'm sure I've got a bunch more, but I know how to lasso and drag and click on clips and trim, and all that other fancy stuff. I'd like to keyboard the simple stuff so I can get this done.

Thanks.

PH

PS. The edit computer isn't hooked up to the internet, so I can't access Premiere Pro help from the edit station, otherwise I might have been able to answer some of these questions myself.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Basic Edit & Keyboard Customization ??s
on Sep 29, 2010 at 11:33:58 pm

There's information on editing keyboard shortcuts here.

If you don't have an Internet connection, then you can grab the PDF version of the Help document and put it on your editing computer. See this page.

With that, you should be able to find answers to your other questions. If you have a hard time finding answers to your other questions, holler, and we'll point the way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
on Sep 30, 2010 at 7:34:37 am

I appreciate Todd's reply, but as I find the answers I'm going to post them because it's much easier to read a short list than dig through manuals. So far: here's what I've gleaned. Xperts can feel free to correct me if/when I get it wrong.

Here are my questions, in no particular order.

I want to customize the keyboard.

1.) Does Premiere let you customize the same way Avid and FCP do?
THE ANSWER APPEARS TO BE: NO.

2.) Can I pull up a keyboard image, and drag and drop icons, etc, to customize key functions?
NO.

Return to posts index

Peter Chung
on Oct 1, 2010 at 8:04:48 pm

Here's some shortcuts I've been using as I transition from FCP to Premiere:

Mark Clip. By this, I assume you mean selecting the in and out of a clip. Press Shift+/

Go to In / Go to Out: q / w
Clear In / Clear Out / Clear In & Out : d /f / g

Cut all tracks (called extract in Premiere): ' (the key to the left of the return key)
Cut all tracks and leave a gap (lift): ; (the key to the left of the ' key above)

If you go to Edit > Keyboard Customizations, you can also change the keyboard shortcuts set to be like FCP or Avid so you feel more at home, if you like.

Return to posts index

Drew Hudgins
on Oct 5, 2010 at 6:17:34 am

Ditto what Peter was saying. I found that feature the other night and went through the entire list of shortcuts...

unfortunately though, there's not a search field - which was really nice in FCP (you'd think that this couldn't be difficult to add into the software)

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
http://hudgemedia.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 5, 2010 at 5:18:04 pm

Hi Drew,
A search field for keyboard shortcuts pane sounds very cool. Could you put in a feature request so that the team will know about it? Here is the link: http://bit.ly/ck4LbS

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Drew Hudgins
on Oct 9, 2010 at 1:55:48 am

Thanks for that link Kevin! I put in the request!

I'll keep that link around too.

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
http://hudgemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]