ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Optimising playback in Premiere CS4 - I'm used to FCP!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Galloway
Optimising playback in Premiere CS4 - I'm used to FCP!
on Sep 9, 2010 at 10:40:22 am

Hi there

I'm using Premiere CS4 on an iMac (2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo/4Gb RAM). I'm working with H264 footage shot using an EOS 550D. The footage is on an external 7200rpm G-Disk connected via FW800.

I'm using Premiere for the first time in a while - I'm trying to switch over from Final Cut Pro.

I'm doing an edit to music. I have my sequence settings set to the same thing my footage is - H264 1920x1080. When I try and play back the sequence in the timeline, things go out of time, the footage lags, the computer struggles to keep up with itself. Even if I render the footage so that it displays with a green bar, it won't play back without lagging or going out of time. The only way I've found to get around this is to change my Video Preview settings to a low-quality codec like DV or Graphics.

I know that if was editing in Final Cut, it would play a lower quality 'preview' version while i edit so that the edit can be seen in time with music, and it would only require me to render if I had effects on the clips (which I don't) - does Premiere have a similar feature to this? It seems very silly to have to render everything into a different (and very bad) codec every time you want to actually see something in time!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Optimising playback in Premiere CS4 - I'm used to FCP!
on Sep 10, 2010 at 6:27:59 pm

CS5 was designed to handle playback of the H.264 format with the Mercury Playback Engine. Is it possible to upgrade?

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]