ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Sequences? Why not just build Projects?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corinne Friesen
Sequences? Why not just build Projects?
on Mar 31, 2010 at 6:37:46 pm

OK - I feel like an idiot but...

Why use sequences? Why not just build a project?

I am essentially asking "What is the useful difference between sequences and projects"?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Vincent Rosati
Re: Sequences? Why not just build Projects?
on Mar 31, 2010 at 8:18:57 pm

You can apply effects to a sequence, and they will affect to all clips inside it. As opposed to applying an effect to every clip within a sequence.

Maybe you might want to work with a particular series of edits as if it were a single clip.

If you are doing a feature length project and you have over 1,000 clips, it can help to break the project into scenes by using different sequences.

I'm sure there are more reasons.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Corinne Friesen
on Mar 31, 2010 at 9:44:46 pm

Thanks, Vincent. And I appreciate that you take time to answer, and so quickly!

Return to posts index

Corinne Friesen
on Mar 31, 2010 at 9:50:24 pm

I'm assuming, then that you might also sometimes want to build sequences separately and then import them into one project, and that when imported, they can be dropped in, assembled as they were when you put the sequences together. If so, how can this be done? (I was playing with this this afternoon and end up baffled over it.)

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
on Mar 31, 2010 at 10:42:33 pm

I've never gone there (various sequences), but I think you might want different sequences if you had different kinds of footage and settings to work with.

Return to posts index

Corinne Friesen
on Apr 1, 2010 at 7:44:14 pm

That makes sense. Thnx.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:20:02 pm

Hi Corinne,

I answered your other post, but wanted to clarify here the difference between a Project and a Sequence.

A PROJECT is created to have a place to IMPORT all the ASSETS (video audio, graphics, titles) that you will work with, and also a place to do the edits (on sequences). All your assets and sequences are part of the Project, so when you Save the Project, it all stays together.

A SEQUENCE is the timeline (inside the Project) where you assemble the clips together and do the editing. You can have multiple Sequences in a single project. As mentioned, this can be used to break down a large, complex project into smaller, manageable segments.

So you have a single Project, but several Sequences. Maybe you name them INTRO, MAIN, and CREDITS. After you complete editing of these three segments, you create a New Sequence and call it MASTER. This is blank, then one by one, you drag INTRO, MAIN and CREDITS to the Master timeline (each Sequence comes in as a large single clip) and you then have a complete program to lay off to tape, export to DVD, etc.

I think this is what you wanted to do (in other post) but it sounds like you created to separate projects instead, which can still work, but adds to the labor, as you must Import one project into the other and then put the Sequences together.

Hope this is making more sense now

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]