ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

how to get audio "back" after dragging new clip over it

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
how to get audio "back" after dragging new clip over it
on Apr 26, 2009 at 10:38:44 pm

hi,
there is one thing that makes me scratch my head since a very long time. probably there is a supersimple solution but i do not know where to look for it.

example:
i have a 30 second clip, starting at about one minute in the timeline. video is on track on videotrack one and audio on audiotrack two.
now i drag a 90 second clip from the bin on videotrack two. the audio goes automatically on audiotrack two (where i have already the audio from my first clip) after realizing my mistake and moving the audio the sound from my virst vid is gone.

how can i get the audio track back? (turn it back on)

btw: i have already some opcity and other keyframing on the vid track. i'm using cs4 pro

thanks ; )

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: how to get audio "back" after dragging new clip over it
on Apr 26, 2009 at 11:10:29 pm

Many times, when you add a clip to the timeline and the audio drops in an unexpected place, it is usually because it has a mono audio track - assuming the project is set to stereo.

I don't know if you can 'restore' the audio, but you could add another instance of the 30 sec. clip, right-click on it and Unlink the audio. Than delete the video and move the new audio portion into the correct position, under the original video clip.

Once in the correct position, you can select the original video and the new audio and re-link them.

Vince

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Apr 27, 2009 at 1:29:46 pm

thank you for taking the time to answer. unfortunately this kind of solution is not a big help in my case... it would take too long to explain the details.

if there is no way or option to just turn the sound "back on" then i believe i have to redo the work.

i just can't believe that there is no simple way to accomplish this since technically the audio is still there. - it never was deleted from the source.

i was hoping that with "replace with clip>from bin" the audio would be "reimported" into the timeline. but that does not work.

..... there MUST be a simple way to do this. i'm sure ; )

Return to posts index

Eddie Lotter
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:04:12 pm

I'm not at my editing workstation to try this but it may work:
Double-click on the video clip in the timeline and it will open in the Source Monitor. Hopefully the original audio will still be available in the Source Monitor, now all you need to do is drag the clip from the Source Monitor to the timeline to replace both the video and audio.

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:28:25 pm

Hi Eddie,

thanks, that was a good idea... but it doesn't work.
audio doesn't show up anymore.

....this is such a basic thing. as vincent mentioned before it happens a lot and this is not a 1.0
others must have had this problem before.... and hopefully found a sloution ; )

Return to posts index

Arturas Simukaitis
on Apr 27, 2009 at 6:32:22 pm

Hi, I think easy to do this is go back to history and delete your wrong action... it may works.

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Apr 27, 2009 at 9:39:35 pm

thank you arturas... but i can't do that.
the project was already saved. i did not realize the mistake right away when i made it.

even if i could go back it would not really help me out, because in this case all the work i have done AFTER the mistake (which is quite an amount) would be gone.

MAYBE THE FOLLOWING INFO COULD HELP TO FIND A SOLUTION:
i am a very frequent saver and i always do incremental saves. i DO have several versions of the project with the sound still intact.
one of the first things i tried was to "import" just this part of the project into the current version. but it did not work the way i thought - maybe i just did something wrong?
so, does anyone know if it is possible to merge a portion on a project into another? or maybe i could also delete all the unnecessary stuff from one of the old versions then save it just with the part that i need and import this whole thing into the current version.

Return to posts index

Eddie Lotter
on Apr 28, 2009 at 1:41:49 pm

[Marc Nibor] "does anyone know if it is possible to merge a portion on a project into another?"

See: FAQ:How do I export/import a sequence to/from another project?

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Apr 28, 2009 at 2:31:19 pm

hi eddie,
thank you! that did the trick. the procedure whcih is described in the FAQ was actually exactly the same what i have already done before. but like i thought... i made a little mistake and i almost did not realize it this time either.
after importing all the stuff showed up in my project... all the bins were there, the footage and the stills. but nothing in the timeline. i did not realize the the imported sequence had of course the same name and that i need to drag the sequence into the timeline first to make the stuff that i am looking for show up.

well,... problem sloved.

thanks a lot to everyone who contributed to the solution.

Return to posts index

Eddie Lotter
on Apr 28, 2009 at 4:37:40 pm

You're welcome. Happy editing.

Cheers
Eddie

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on May 1, 2009 at 7:16:23 pm

Right click on clip in timeline and reveal in project.
Double click on this clip in the projec window and it will show up in the source monitor with the audio and with the last set in and out points. Now you can drag your audio into the timeline

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on May 5, 2009 at 12:30:05 am

Thank you Ann,
I think I saw this solution already posted somewhere else here on the board when I did a search before I wrote this post.

When I follow it I only get the full clip. not the edited version that is in the timeline.

the solution from one of the anwers posted before did work so far. although there seems to be something strange going on once the movie is rendered.>>>
Audio is there during editing. But once I render, the audio is gone in the final movie.
This seems extremely weird and I have no explenation yet.

Return to posts index

Mateus Ribeiro
on Nov 7, 2014 at 4:11:36 am

When I'm using Final Cut, I just double click the clip to bring it to the viewer. Then I press F twice, to bring the original video and the original audio. Drag down, job is done. Premiere has no such feature. Shame on you Adobe! I can't imagine a decent reason why ALL the features from Final Cut 7 (software from 2009, made by the SAME TEAM), are not present in Premiere CS6. Sad... Fortunately, there is a decent workaround:

DECENT WORKAROUND:

- Drag the video-only clip to your project window. A new instance of the raw clip will appear.
- Double click this new clip. It will have the same in/out information from your video-only clip.
- You can either bring back both audio and video, or just click the "drag audio only" button and drag the audio to the desired track.

Return to posts index

Darin Griffith
on Oct 13, 2015 at 12:45:59 am

I know this thread is long dead but I came across a solution to this problem so I thought I would post. I have a project in CS6 that I've been working on for a long time. Many of the clips are using extracted audio from Audition but at some point all of the extracted files were lost.

To restore original audio to a clip do the following:
1. Right click the clip and click Unlink.
2. Drag the video clip to your Project window.
3. Double click the new clip in the Project window so it opens in the Source window.
4. Now you can drag the audio only (small waveform icon) back to your sequence thereby replacing the clip with the original audio track.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Oct 15, 2015 at 9:27:12 am

Select clip in timeline and hit F.
Source Clip will open from Project Window in Source Monitor.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]