ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to cut video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mikael ahlin
How to cut video
on Feb 12, 2008 at 4:46:36 pm

Hi.
Sorry for this stupid question,but.. how can I cut a video. I mean I want to remove some video part from my video and leave the rest. How to do it? Please write in details if possible. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: How to cut video
on Feb 12, 2008 at 6:24:19 pm

Click Window/Tools.
Mess around with these.

I prefer editing in the timeline. Some like to do their editing via the monitor window.

Anyway...

V - Selection Tool: For grabbing and moving whole clips, you can also use this tool at the head or tail of a clip to set in/out points.
C - Razor Tool: For making cuts within a clip.
B - Rolling Edit Tool: Try using this when you have two clips next to each other, and understand it's behavior.

Those are the tools that I use the most, but practice with all of them so you know what they do.

Vince

Return to posts index

Skyler Call
on May 1, 2010 at 7:05:52 am

I can trim the video but when I apply an effect like ProDAD Marcalli it runs the plugin on the entire movie clip (even the parts I trimmed out). How do I cut out the unwanted portions of the clip so that the plugin only sees the part I am interested in?

Return to posts index

Pete Mulder
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:57:31 pm

I have a similar question and I am also new to Adobe Premiere Pro: I have a 3 minute clip that I dragged into Premiere. However I am using only 30 seconds of this clip on the timeline. I want to edit just that 30 second part of the clip in Photoshop CS6 to so some lens distortion correction but when I attempt to do so I am forced to choose the entire 3 clip in Bridge in order for it to be worked on in PS. I realize that the non-destructive nature of the program is a virtue but how do I work on ONLY that 30 second portion, or perhaps I should be asking; how do I save just the 30 second portion from the timeline as a stand-alone 30 second clip that I can work on in PS without having to work on the original clip in its entirety?

Return to posts index

Richard Baim
on Feb 12, 2008 at 10:37:39 pm

Let's say you have a clip on the timeline and you want to remove a segment from the middle of the clip. If the clip starts at 1:00:00 and ends at 2:00:00, you might want to remove a segment between 1:30:00 and 1:45:00. Using the Razor tool, click on those two points to cut the clip at 1:30 and 1:45. Go back to the Selection tool, click on the part of the clip you want to remove, then right click, and choose Ripple Delete. All clips after that point move to the left and the gap is closed.

There are several other ways to do this, but this is one of the fastest.

Rich Baim

Return to posts index

mikael ahlin
on Feb 15, 2008 at 2:57:28 pm

Thank you it worked! But now how can I copy some part from the movie and paste it to another place on the time line? Would appreciate if you could answer.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Feb 15, 2008 at 7:53:25 pm

Use the Selection tool to highlight all of the desired clips in the timeline, than Copy (Ctrl+C).
Next, move the CTI (Current Time Indicator or playback head) to the place where you want the clips to go, and Paste (Ctrl+V).

There are other techniques for performing this, but Copy/Paste should do for now. :)

Vince

Return to posts index

Pete Mulder
on Oct 3, 2012 at 11:32:45 pm

I have a similar question and I am also new to Adobe Premiere Pro: I have a 3 minute clip that I dragged into Premiere. However I am using only 30 seconds of this clip on the timeline. I want to edit just that 30 second part of the clip in Photoshop CS6 to so some lens distortion correction but when I attempt to do so I am forced to choose the entire 3 clip in Bridge in order for it to be worked on in PS. I realize that the non-destructive nature of the program is a virtue but how do I work on ONLY that 30 second portion, or perhaps I should be asking; how do I save just the 30 second portion from the timeline as a stand-alone 30 second clip that I can work on in PS without having to work on the original clip in its entirety?

Pete

Return to posts index

Pete Mulder
on Oct 5, 2012 at 3:11:38 pm

I figured it out: From within PS there are are these little clip adjusting brackets beneath the image that allow you to choose just the portion of the clip you want to put the effect on. After you do this and render and save the clip, it saves a new clip at that adjusted length but be sure to do "save as" with a new file name or you will screw up your original clip. Its a great option.

Pete

Return to posts index

Ember Tramp
on May 11, 2010 at 12:05:26 pm

As for me,i prefer use VidCrop.It's prog for crop video and also you can use zoom)It's helps me alot.)

Return to posts index

Don Shapiro
on May 1, 2011 at 9:40:53 pm

This may have helped me with a problem I encountered last night but I want to confirm because the situation is a bit more difficult. I'm editing a music video and have put seven different location takes of the artist singing her song and manually sync'd them all to the master audio recording. This can't be done in the monitor view so the timeline was the only way to sync all the video to the audio track.

Tell me if I have this right. Let's say I want to use clips from the beach take. I use the razor tool to cut a 3 second piece at 1:10 then a 14 second piece at 1:42 then a 5 second piece at 2:18. I then select and delete the portions of the clips between those selections but do not use Ripple because I want those short clips to remain exactly where they are which is snyc'd to the audio.

Is this the best way to do this? Any suggestions on a better way to do this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Jacobsen
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:01:48 pm

Ok HOW do you actually cut it? I clicked razor tool, went to timeline.. hovered over it nothing happened. I don't see where it shows WHERE I'm trying to clip it, e.g. the actual timestamp so I crop the right time portion.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Jacobsen
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:09:38 pm

Basically I hit record on the camera and backed away to start filming, lol. So I want to cut out about half a second from the beginning..

Right now this adobe premiere dashboard looks like the cockpit to an alien spacecraft, BUT I am a smart guy and already figured out how to use the chroma key and got rid of my green screen. Progress! So I can figure this out I'm just not seeing how to apply things like the razor tool, which I FOUND, but could not figure out how they worked.

Return to posts index

John Bonifas
on Dec 12, 2013 at 7:03:11 pm

Here's how to do it:

It's called LIFTING. 'lifting' the marked segment out of the rest of it. Then just shove the rest of the video on the right next to the video on the left to close the gap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]