ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Large to Huge file sizes not co-operating with Premiere Pro CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Panu SiitonenLarge to Huge file sizes not co-operating with Premiere Pro CS6
by on Jun 8, 2016 at 2:52:25 pm

Hello!

I recently took some footage of myself play Dark Souls. The entire footage covers 20 hours of gameplay divided unevenly over 10 .mp4 files. Smallest files are about 15 minutes long and about 250 MB large, while the largest files are over 4GB in size with over 4 hours of footage. These two smaller files fit nicely into Premiere and without too much difficulties. The larger files however, first and foremost, take quite a while to import. After the import is done, I try to drag it to the timeline like I always do. it appears on the timeline, but I cannot see any video footage coming up to the sequence preview or inspector, while sound may be present. After a bit fiddling to try to get some video visible, the preview window becomes unresponsive, preventing me from playing the clip while staying otherwise operational and interactable.

Is there a way to split these clips outside of premiere to make them work in premiere? Or am I just missing something.

Thanks in advance.
- Pasketi

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Large to Huge file sizes not co-operating with Premiere Pro CS6
by on Jun 8, 2016 at 4:15:40 pm
Last Edited By Oki Pienandoro on Jun 8, 2016 at 4:16:58 pm

Download mediainfo, install, then drag&drop the problematic footage in that app.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Change the view to "Text"

Copy-paste the result into pastebin, or screen cap if it's too hassle.

Post the result here

It may have to do with the codec or bitrate.

But most likely your machine isn't powerful enough to playback at real-time on "heavy" footage.

Also post your spec:
CPU, RAM, Working Drive (i assume your footage on different drive than the "system" drive).

That being said, i never import footage larger than 1 hour.

Also, to answer your other question, yes there is a way to split outside Premiere.
Use MP4Box (command line),
https://gpac.wp.mines-telecom.fr/mp4box/

Or if you prefer with GUI, there is My MP4Box GUI
http://www.videohelp.com/software/My-MP4Box-GUI

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Panu SiitonenRe: Large to Huge file sizes not co-operating with Premiere Pro CS6
by on Jun 8, 2016 at 4:36:36 pm

Thanks for responding!

This is quite long, but I hope you'll get something out of it. The footage was streamed into twitch.tv and ripped from there afterwards with an external application.

http://pastebin.com/duXj2V9z

Also my specs:
15 inch MacBook Pro (mid 2012)
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
8Gb RAM, 1600 MHz DDR3
NVidia GeForce GT 650M, 512Mb Cache
Fresh Samsung EVO850 SSD, 500Gb, footage on that drive, so slow r/w not an issue

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Large to Huge file sizes not co-operating with Premiere Pro CS6
by on Jun 8, 2016 at 5:41:00 pm

I just realize one thing, you actually gonna edit a 20 hours of footage ? O_o

I work exclusively on windows, so i guess i cannot help much.
Also by the fact the longest i make and edit is a 3 hours long.

Perhaps it's RAM issue (a.k.a not enough RAM) ?
Perhaps you can view how much Premiere take the RAM ?

Btw, Premiere sequence limit is 24 hours. Perhaps this is the case ?

But my best guess is this :
The video is in variable frame rate, which mean, when you playback, Premiere try to playback in constant FPS.
So there is an additional background process (a.k.a Premiere compute things)
Given you have huge and long footage, i guess it's taken toll on performance.

Try to interpret footage first, if not helping then try to convert that into constant fps first. Perhaps it helps.

Return to posts index

Panu SiitonenRe: Large to Huge file sizes not co-operating with Premiere Pro CS6
by on Jun 8, 2016 at 5:43:16 pm

I'm going to divide the footage into like 15 minute highlights or so. There's no reason making everyone sit through all the grind I did. I got MP4Box working, and divided the first 4 hour clip into 30 minute chunks. Testing now...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2016 at 5:50:16 pm

First off, the fact that I cannot edit my own posts is just bad.

The footage works great now, that I can divide it into smaller files. 30 minutes is a good length for a clip... Now to go through 20 hours of Dark Souls gameplay, and pick highlights... :|

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2016 at 5:55:41 pm

Marked solved then, perhaps it may helps a user in the future with similar problem.
Also, yeah Creative Cow is weird.
You can actually edit your post by replying to yourself, BUT instead of posting new post, scroll-up, you will see an edit button.
I know, it's weird.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]