ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

HDR Documentation?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian SarfattyHDR Documentation?
by on Jun 4, 2016 at 11:22:26 pm

Hello! I am trying to find good documentation for the new HDR options in Premiere. I've been on Lynda.com, and seen a youtube clip posted by Adobe, and looked at Premiere help file. Also searched on Creative Cow. Basically all the documentation and forum posts seems to presume you understand how the heck HDR works, and I've been able to find no tutorial that goes in depth enough for me to get how to work the HDR controls. I'm an editor, not a colorist or photographer, and my only understand of HDR is that it helps even out exposure when I take pictures on my iPhone in harsh lighting.

Basically, I have footage, shot ProRes422HQ. It was shut at the end of the day, outside, the light is behind the characters, so the background is blown out but the faces in the foreground are too dark.

I want to see if the HDR feature can help even out the image, like the HDR feature does on the iPhone.

Can anyone explain to me if the HDR features will help me? And if so, can someone provide an explanation to someone who has no idea how the heck HDR works? Or at least point me in the direction to better documentation so I can teach myself?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: HDR Documentation?
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 12:05:56 am

as far as a know, the HDR support comes from the scopes feature and Lumetri pops open a new HDR adjustment. As to if it will recover highlights that aren't there, I don't think so.
HDR is similar to RAW as it has whites and blacks that can be recovered. If you didn't record in HDR or RAW, you won't magically get recovered although the tool may work similary to the effect called Shadow/highlight which makes a more pleasant looking gamma adjustment than curves.

Return to posts index

Joel ArvidssonRe: HDR Documentation?
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 7:08:55 am

Or log.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Brian SarfattyRe: HDR Documentation?
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 7:09:03 pm

I am just the editor, I know nothing about the camera settings, or what the camera is capable of. It was shot Log.

So can someone clarify - shooting HDR is a new camera feature? Is this something that is common? Has it been standard in video cameras for a while? It is not the same thing as LOG or RAW? If you have footage shot LOG, HDR settings won't help you?

Playing with the HDR controls - curves, HDR Range, and HDR Specular, I was able to restore detail in some of the highlights. But I am not 100% sure what the HDR Range and HDR specular are doing, I'm just sliding them around until i get something.

I am pretty sure the detail I am getting back is what is within that "headroom" of super-whites between 235-255, which has been part of the digital video speck as far back as I can remember - to the Avid days shooting on BetaSP.

I can also pull in the same bits of detail from super whites with HDR off, and pulling down the top of my curve. I have tried both ways -using the HDR controls, and just pulling down my whites, and compared the two, and can't seem to tell if the HDR controls are doing anything but accomplishing the same thing in a different way.

Return to posts index

Pat HorridgeRe: HDR Documentation?
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 8:33:35 pm

RAW is saving the sensor data as captured which helps eliminate incorrect camera settings on location.
LOG is a way of adjusting the way the limited bit depth of a recording format. LOG trades one area of exposure detail for another.
HDR is a step beyond that.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Pat HorridgeRe: HDR Documentation?
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 9:13:58 am

Did you have HDR active when you shot the footage? If not tgen you haven't captured the extended information so HDR is no use to you.
Even if you capture HDR images its really only useful if you intend to deliver and display HDR.
HDR only works if its end to end.
There is lots of info on the 2 dominent HDR specs currently being pushed. Better to get an overall understanding first.
But for your dark foreground content I'd look at a gamma lift or use tge curves on tge luma channel to lift the intetest area. Maybe next time a bounce reflector would save the day...

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: HDR Documentation?
by on Jun 5, 2016 at 1:23:53 pm

[Brian Sarfatty] "Basically, I have footage, shot ProRes422HQ. It was shut at the end of the day, outside, the light is behind the characters, so the background is blown out but the faces in the foreground are too dark. "

Uh oh...

[Brian Sarfatty] "I want to see if the HDR feature can help even out the image, like the HDR feature does on the iPhone."

HDR features can't save badly exposed footage.

Here's a pretty good primer on what HDR is by Alexis Van Hurkman: http://vanhurkman.com/wordpress/?p=3548

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]