ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Can I import and work on ProRes files in PPro on a PC?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenCan I import and work on ProRes files in PPro on a PC?
by on Jun 2, 2016 at 12:30:50 am
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Jun 2, 2016 at 12:36:13 am

I just picked up an Atomos Ninja-2. I know it can use either ProRes or DNxHD codecs. I was wondering, if I recorded using ProRes can I import the files into a PC and work on them, then export them using a PC "approved" codec? Or is ProRes not compatible with Windows?
I won't be getting it for a few days so I was just curious what the workflow would be.

EDIT: I guess this answers my question
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/971351

I THINK it's saying you can IMPORT ProRes but you can't EXPORT it, although there are a number of workarounds since that thread ended. I'm quite happy to export in h264 or DNxHD, I just wanted to make sure I could import and work on ProRes files without having to transcode. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, which I usually am.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Can I import and work on ProRes files in PPro on a PC?
by on Jun 2, 2016 at 4:27:04 am

You can import Prores. Adobe is working on native support for that and before that happens you might need this https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2?locale=en_GB

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Can I import and work on ProRes files in PPro on a PC?
by on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:28:26 am

Thanks, Tero!

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Can I import and work on ProRes files in PPro on a PC?
by on Jun 2, 2016 at 1:46:14 pm

Hi Duke,

I've been using a Ninja 2 for about 3 years or more, editing the ProRes clips with CS6 and CC on my PC and works fantastic. As noted, no ProRes export on PCs.

I use the mid-quality ProRes 422, no need for HQ unless you have a really high-end camera doing TV work. Might even get by with LT, haven't tried it. Makes big files either way compared to in-camera formats like HDV and AVCHD.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2016 at 2:17:54 pm

Hey Jeff! Geez, what else do we both use? You don't use a Nikon D5500 do you? I doubt it ;-)

So with the ProRes 422 output from the Ninja you're able to color grade without breaking the video file? That was my main reason for getting this. I saw a couple of (admittedly older) articles where they said the Ninja outputs video that is too contrasty and that flat profiles don't effect it. They were referring to firmware version 2.xx and I know it's past 4.2x now so has that been fixed?

Sorry, I always seem to bombard you with questions. I'm trying to figure out if the guy included the usb to usb cable for transferring files to the PC. Is that what this uses to transfer files? If he didn't include it I'll have to go pick one up or get one on ebay which I really hate to wait another few days to use it.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2016 at 2:18:49 pm

Tried to install it and it said I already had a newer version installed.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2016 at 4:54:40 pm

Hi Duke,

No Nikon, you got me there!

Latest firmware for Ninja 2 is the v4.23 and you can check on Ninja info screen to see what is installed.

Not sure what that post meant about a contrasty image. Remember that a lot of these guys are "film" makers living in a stratosphere above regular guys like us. The video I record on Ninja 2 looks great. Now that I think about it, I read a review a couple of years ago where the guy was using a DSLR and complaining about contrast/blacks...turns out later that he needed to change a menu setting inside the camera to change the HDMI output. Something about the difference between outputting 16-235 range versus 0-255...user error!

Ninja comes with a "hard drive dock" which is a little gizmo that the drive attaches to and then the dock attaches to computer with USB 3.0 cable which is part of the dock.

Now, if the used unit you got is an early model, that might have a different dock that has a Firewire connection.

However, you do NOT have to use an Atomos dock at all - the drive will have a standard SATA connector, so really you can use ANY external SATA drive dock, such as those from SIIG, StarTech, ThermalTake, etc. for like $25-35 new.

The Atomos dock has such a short cable, and my older PC only has USB 3.0 at the rear, so I have to climb under the desk and fight to connect it back there in the dark, and then it just dangles...maybe I should buy a SATA docking station myself!!!

You will find that by recording to ProRes, your keying will be cleaner since it is 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0, plus less compression overall.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:04:12 pm

Thanks for the info, Jeff. Yeah, this guy suddenly stopped responding to my emails. If he doesn't come clean soon he's gonna find out just how fast I can turn ugly. I don't want to have to go buy additional stuff. A usb to usb, fine, that's only 5 bucks at Walmart. But you're saying I can just disconnect a SATA connector from my second HDD and connect it to the SSD (it comes with a 240g SSD, more than enough space for my minute masterpieces)?

If not this guy is gonna feel the wrath of Duke!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2016 at 7:20:21 pm

There's no USB cable that will help you out, you need SATA to USB 3.0 basically. Yes you can open the computer and physically plug the drive into an available SATA connector, but am not recommending that, what a pain! Get an external SATA Docking Station with USB 3.0 interface if need be.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2016 at 7:38:19 pm

I ended up getting a USB to SATA connector for 4 bucks. It's USB 2.0. I know that's slower than 3.0 but will it work? I'm tired of playing musical chairs with West Coast dick. Just finished tearing him a new one, too. Anyway, USB 2.0 will work? This is the one I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161768850094?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNam...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2016 at 8:05:09 pm

It should allow you to transfer the footage to the editing drive inside your computer...s..l..o..w..l..y.

Remember, ProRes makes BIG files.

As for editing directly off the Ninja drive, USB 2.0 is likely too slow for that.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2016 at 10:45:34 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Jun 2, 2016 at 11:38:51 pm

Yeah, I bit the bullet and bought another one, usb 3.0 as well. Too late to cancel the other one, I'll just have to send it back after it's delivered. Been in a flame war with the idiot who sold the ninja. Aggravating day....grrrr... ;-)

btw, will LUT's work better on the uncompressed 422? I remember they used to destroy h264.

Oh yeah, digging the new font. The board looks so much cleaner now.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Can I import and work on ProRes files in PPro on a PC?
by on Jun 3, 2016 at 3:57:48 am

[Duke Sweden] "btw, will LUT's work better on the uncompressed 422? I remember they used to destroy h264."

Prores isn't uncompressed but it is "visually lossless". How a LUT affects the footage will depend on how the footage is shot. Better codecs can deal with bigger changes better given that it's captured correctly in the first place.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2016 at 10:43:14 am

OK, so it ain't exactly RAW, but a lot better than h264. Got it. Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2016 at 9:10:34 pm

Hey Jeff, I got the Ninja 2 and all of the connectors I needed today. Played with a 30 second piece of nonsense video and was very impressed with the smoothness in Premiere Pro and also the ability to really tweak it. Two questions, though.

1. When I plug the N2 into my camera (HDMI to mini-HDMI) the live view stays on but as soon as I turn on the N2 the LCD goes blank. I can't adjust focus or exposure or ISO because I can't see what I'm doing. I know my camera is compatible since it's just a slightly improved version of the D5300 which Atomos lists on their website as compatible. Googling the problem brings back no valid results.

2. Do you NEED to plug in a mic for the N2 to pick up audio? Just getting a low noise. I tried adjusting the audio levels but I can only adjust the analog signal which is for a mic input, not the supposedly built in audio recorder. Of course I record audio externally now, but i need a soundtrack to sync to!

I'll keep looking, but if you see this and have easy answers please get back to me. Thanks either way!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2016 at 10:42:41 pm

OK, solved #2. My mic was off!!!! Grrrr....

Still need an answer to #1.

Also, I can't change the video mode. No matter what mode I set my camera to (24p, 30p, 60p) the Ninja always says 1080p29.976fps. There's no blue arrow to cycle through different settings.

There is no help to be had anywhere. Even Atomos website says "Well, just press the blue arrow to cycle through the settings!" but there AIN'T no blue arrow there. Grrrrr....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]