ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Dynamic Link

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris EllingworthDynamic Link
by on May 31, 2016 at 7:32:13 am

CS6. Hi, I have had some accidents using the 'replace with after effects composition' feature a few times and I find it messy to have the links between the two programs. I far prefer to have a stand alone clip in Premiere Pro.

I am comfortable with dragging my sequence from PP straight into After Effects and then making adjustments in AE, but I am worried that I may be losing some definition when I then render in AE as an MP4 to use in PP. I know there is the lossless AVI render option but it's massive! AVI also gives me slightly jagged edges after rotoscoping in Mocha.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Dynamic Link
by on May 31, 2016 at 10:25:59 am

You mean lossless as in "uncompressed" AVI?
Yes it's big, but you can always install a "real" lossless codec. The size was MUCH smaller.
I use "Ut video codec", not open source, but free.
Also, mainly because i can use it outside Adobe app, unlike QT codec.

If you didn't want to install/trust 3rd party codec like Ut, you can use Quicktime Animation or Quicktime PNG.

I've been using Ut for years. Also Ut can also be used on Mac, so you can exchange files with ease.
If you decided to use Ut, and want to encode higher than 8 bit per channel, make sure you open the "Readme For Adobe User" files by the end of installation, this is to add Ut to codec list that support 8bit+ encoding.
Or you can read here :
http://umezawa.dyndns.info/archive/utvideo/utvideo-16.1.0-readme-adobe.en.h...

If not, you can still use it in normal 8 bit.

Here's the link, download the latest version:
At the time of writing, it's v 16.1.0

http://umezawa.dyndns.info/archive/utvideo/

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Chris EllingworthRe: Dynamic Link
by on May 31, 2016 at 11:31:43 am

Ok thanks! The quicktime png does look better than the mp4. There's no sound though. I can always add it later I guess.

If I was to use H.264 does it help to increase the bitrate? If I don't want to use a 3rd party codex, would you say quicktime png is the best way of retaining high quality? I normally just use H.264

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Dynamic Link
by on May 31, 2016 at 12:44:33 pm

No it will not help if you increase the bitrate no matter how high, it's a lossy codec, you will lose color.
Only use H.264 as final delivery (if that's what the client want), not as intermediate files.

Unless you use x.264 (noted : not "H").
x.264 have lossless option.

But as far as i know, you can't export with x.264 directly from AE,
Perhaps there is a plugin for that, but i never search for it. Also because (IIRC) Adobe didn't support importing lossless x.264 yet.

Personally i only use 2 codec as intermediate, either Ut or Animation.
I use Ut almost exclusively when i work alone, but when it comes to exchanging files, especially if the other party using Mac, i always use Animation.

Why ?
In my test, i find that Ut is faster to playback, almost no stuttering at all in my low end PC, whilst Animation can only sustain a brief period of time (30 sec or so)on playback before start stuttering.

QuickTime PNG, while producing the smallest file size, stutter even more in my PC.

And actually there is an even smaller lossless codec, called lagarith.
It produce even smaller file.
The catch is, the decompression speed is horrible, also is not being actively developed for years.
Only use them as an archiving codec if the space is a concern, or perhaps delivery concern (low upload speed, tight deadline). But still, the receiving party must convert that into more usable codec.

PS: I'm not sure what you mean by PNG can't produce audio.
Did you export as image sequence ?
No, you can use PNG as codec inside Quicktime container, and it can carry audio stream just like any other lossless format.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

by on May 31, 2016 at 8:51:54 pm

Ok thanks very much for your help on this Oki.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Dynamic Link
by on May 31, 2016 at 4:00:40 pm

Hi,

You can always copy and paste sections from PPro into AE.

then when you redner out of AE making a new media file....

make sure to enable

"Include Project Link"

in the Output Module Settings...

in this way...

a clip used in Ppro can still "open" the corresponding AE project if you need to do a revision...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

by on May 31, 2016 at 8:53:11 pm

Great thanks very much Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>