ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Playback lag

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giorgos ChatzigrigoriouPlayback lag
by on May 28, 2016 at 6:44:37 pm

Hello, it's the first time I post here, and it's about that is very annoying. I have a decent computer, core i7 5820k, 16gb of ddr 4 ram, vga gtx 960.
I just finished creating this video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOwhUE2Dxac
Footage is from iphone 6 and most of the timelapses. However the ones like the one in 47 seconds , in Picadilly London is from my Nikon Camera. Each frame is around 5mb in that timelapse. When I preview that part the playback was lagging. Also in the finale of the video where London letters appear and each letter is a different video, I had problem.
Because I monitored everything from cpu to gpu I cannot find a reason for doing that. The one thing that I suspect is the hard drive. I have all the footage in one 7200 hard drive and all the cache etc. Can this be the cause?
Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for my long post.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Playback lag
by on May 28, 2016 at 7:06:10 pm

i'm amazed it worked at all. Adobe doesn't support variable frame rate video from camera footage. also, a single disk that had to share, video files, media cache, sound files, effects, rendering, project files, memory swap file, the only thing that kept you going was the processor, which, unfortunately had to wait for everything.

Next time I recommend using prelude or handbrake to convert variable frame rate footage to constant frame rate (not to be confused with variable bitrate) to Cineform(which is the smoothest to edit with DI codec)

and get a SSD hd like a Samsung 850 Pro SATA or 950 m.2(if you have m.2 x4 mobo support)

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Playback lag
by on May 28, 2016 at 7:11:05 pm

Yes, most likely the hard drive is the bottleneck.
Since every frame is 5 MB, so assuming it's on 29.97 fps, it's around 150 MB/s-ish
On average a 7200RPM drive can only read 110 MB/s perhaps even lower, depends on the drive model.
Also, Hard drive throughput is slowing down the more the drive filled up.

Set your cache on your highest speed drive, don't use them in the same drive.
Better use SSD or raid if possible.

About london title? What's the problem ?
Laggy also ? Same answer as above.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Giorgos ChatzigrigoriouRe: Playback lag
by on May 28, 2016 at 7:58:10 pm

Nice I'll check the thing with the drives. Also thanks for the info about the variable framerates I didn't know that.
P.S About the title london, in the preview there was a lag. It was 6 streams of video playing at once.I thought that cpu could handle even more, but I will check the thing with the hard drives. Thanks both of you a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]