ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Timeline won't play

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan WoodworthTimeline won't play
by on May 26, 2016 at 5:37:51 pm

I'm on a Windows 10 PC with the latest Premiere Pro CC, I've tried loading projects from my Raid 0 SSD, my external backup drives, and my internal harddrive. Yesterday for multiple attempts Premiere wouldn't even attempt to load any of the project's media. Then it would, but either way the timeline itself won't play at all. I even click the play button and the button changes state but the timeline isn't actually playing. Another weird thing is when I go to create a new project or exit Premiere, it only does so half way, basically it looks like it just closes the current project and then I have to tell it to close Premiere (or create a new project) again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere. Anyhow, timeline won't play so I can't edit. Bummer because my Sunday deadline will not be met because I've lost a day and a half trying to figure this stuff out.

Return to posts index

Jordan WoodworthRe: Timeline won't play
by on May 26, 2016 at 5:47:28 pm

Whoa I just opened a project that previously wouldn't play and it played! But then closed it (and it closed perfectly, bringing me to startup window as it should) and I closed Premiere and then reopened that same project and it wouldn't play anymore. Reminds me a bit of how sometimes I open a project and I get the message saying this was opened last using the whatever it's called graphic GUI processor which isn't available at the moment, and so I have to close Premiere and open it again because for some reason the first attempt didn't properly load that GUI processor thing.

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Timeline won't play
by on May 28, 2016 at 7:23:35 pm

That's because your Graphic card were still used/locked by some program somehow, so the GPU Mercury Engine is not available.
About your previous problem regarding premiere won't even load media, i've no idea.
But you can try to delete your cache and database files, see if it helps somehow (yes, it will rebuild the conformed and the peak files the first time you open the project)

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:39:54 pm

Ok so after (possibly unnecessarily) reimaging my PC laptop and then transferring everything off my RAID 0 drive I reformatted the RAID 0 for Mac, transferred everything back onto it, and am now working on a Mac Pro tower (a.k.a. garbage can looking thing), I ended up being able to go back a few auto-saves and so now I've got myself a working project.....but this morning after finally getting back into the swing of things after being down for 8 days, I made a cut in the audio of a nested sequence and now Premiere will no longer play my timeline or anything in the source monitor AGAIN.
And the only way I can get Premiere to open and play any other projects after this happens is to restart the computer. This project however will not play anymore no matter what I do. Thoughts? Theories? Words of encouragment to get me off this window ledge (metaphorically speaking, don't worry) after mistakenly thinking I was back in action after 8 days of troubleshooting followed by a few hours of editing only to be slapped in the face again with the same issue?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:43:36 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention this consistent occurence; when I try to exit out of Premiere when it has lost the ability to play, it only closes the project and doesn't bring up the startup screen, or if instead of exiting I try to open another project or create a new project it again only closes the current project. I have to tell it twice to get it to open or create new or exit.

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Timeline won't play
by on Jun 3, 2016 at 5:35:12 pm
Last Edited By Oki Pienandoro on Jun 3, 2016 at 5:38:47 pm

First of all, don't panic, there always a workaround (somehow). Believe me, many editor (including me) been through even worse.

Let's start from the very beginning,
The start screen. It could be the "Preferences | General | At Start Up" was somehow not set into "Show Start Screen"
So it may/may not related to the problem you have.

2nd, when you said you reinstalled Adobe, did you use Adobe Cleaner, and delete any preferences. Also, did it import your preferences from cloud ?

I don't quite get it how the "re-image" (restore image ???) from PC has anything to do with Mac.
Also, if you restore image from a broken installation, it's pointless. Better start from scratch (manual clean install).

How many days left to deadline ?
You never mentioned your footage container and codec, sequence, and did you use any 3rd party plugin ?
Any dynamic link ?

What kind of edit ? Multicam ?

Have you tried to delete the cache and the database ?

If i were you, seeing the problem still arise even after changing platform, i would do :
1. Transcode to format you trust (ProRes, DNxHD, Cineform), and don't mixed it, and make sure the audio is also conformed, so Premiere didn't have to reconformed.
2. If it still fails, i will switch back to Win 7, CC 2014.
Which mean you need to export/import your sequence in XML, since most likely Premiere CC 2014 can't open CC2015 project files.

Honestly i just installed CC2015 last week (just for the sake of learning new feature), because i've seen so many report about bug on initial release..
I'm still using CC 2014 on Win 7 for my work.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]