ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

When to Transcode?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce MooseWhen to Transcode?
by on May 26, 2016 at 4:45:27 pm

When do you think it's best to transcode and when do you think it's best not to transcode? I don't have a Raid setup and I don't have the money to do so right now. I just run my Premiere editing off of my iMac i7 with GPU acceleration and USB 3 external hard drives with my media on it.

Should I always transcode to Prores or is that only needed when I am working on a large timeline with lots of effects. My camera shoots in AVHCD native. I do lots of color correction and effects work in after effects. Is it true AVCHD footage degrades over time when you add effects and color correction or is that a myth?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: When to Transcode?
by on May 26, 2016 at 5:44:10 pm

It's no myth. Image quality on highly-compressed stuff like AVCHD degrades with each re-rendering. If it was my stuff, I'd transcode to ProRes right from the get-go.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bryce MooseRe: When to Transcode?
by on May 26, 2016 at 8:08:28 pm

Thank you very much

Bryce

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2016 at 4:53:46 pm

I was watching a Lynda tutorial on transcoding. The guy in the tutorial mentioned that some editors import their native footage and create Subclips then transcode their Subclips to ProRes or some other form to save storage space. I also found out when watching the tutorial that I can use what's called Render and Replace which takes my Timeline I've made using my AVCHD footage and Render but replace it with ProRes. I didn't know you could do this at all and I'm pretty efficient in Premiere. Is it a good idea to Render and Replace as well as possibly look into Transcoding my Subclips?

Thanks

Bryce

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: When to Transcode?
by on May 27, 2016 at 5:18:17 pm

I'm still learning the ropes in PP, but I'm not bad in AE. If you're confident that Render & Replace will avoid rendering the AVCHD footage, go ahead & use it.

Just don't forget to do it! That's the virtue of transcoding before you cut -- it's already don. You can't forget.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2016 at 5:28:27 pm

If I have GPU acceleration on does it auto render? I just wanted to ask. I see a yellow render bar and some green bars which have no effects. it only shows a yellow bar when I have added an effect. Im guessing it hasn't rendered and the GPU only lets me play it back without rendering?

Bryce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]