ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenThree hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 26, 2016 at 4:33:52 pm

Those of you who have followed my comments know my situation. Consumer PC, integrated HP graphics card, etc. Even still, should it take over 3 hours to have
encoded this into h264 in Media Encoder?

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 26, 2016 at 4:35:23 pm

PS, you know I don't go fishing for "views". I will post the occasional video here because I know it rarely results in much more than 3 or 5 extra views.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 26, 2016 at 6:10:29 pm

What footage do you have on the timeline? What kind of effects do you have on your clips? What are your _exact_ export settings?

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 26, 2016 at 6:32:39 pm

In this instance my greenscreen was transcoded to DNxHD and those other f/x (dancing girls, helicopter, crazy guy) were downloaded from youtube so they were mp4, low quality at that.

Only effects were lumetri color correction and grading. Scaling of green screen characters.

Export settings 25 min 49 max bit rate.

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 6:34:06 pm

I really wish you could edit your own comments here instead of adding more comments. Forgot to add, encoded to h264.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 26, 2016 at 9:57:05 pm

Actually, you CAN edit a post. You have to open the desired post and not the thread to see the "edit your post" thingy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 10:32:17 pm

I just tried it, it brought me to where I could edit my previous post, but it said I wasn't authorized to edit my own post. The noive!!!

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 27, 2016 at 11:24:39 am

My first question would be - why the incredibly high data rate? Where is your finished video going to play?

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2016 at 1:32:41 pm

Because that's what I've always read you should do. High bit rate. They only go to youtube. What bit rate do you suggest?

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 27, 2016 at 1:44:41 pm

I generally use the YouTube presets. Never had any problems. I'll bet it will shorten your encode times considerably.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 1:13:32 am

Just tried it and it increased the file size from 76mb to 113mb. Tried encoding anyway and it took just as long. I've resigned myself to long encodes. Thanks for trying to cheer me up ;-)

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 10:50:49 am

The 'YouTube 1080P HD' presets in AME has a data rate of 16 target/16 max Mbps. There is no way that lowering your data rate from 25/49 to 16 will increase your encode time.

Are you encoding with AME CC 2015? Since you used the term '25 min', I'd suspect not, as AME CC 2015 doesn't use a 'minimum' rate for H.264, but perhaps an older version did. Also, it would help to know a bit about your hardware, especially your graphics card. Is the Mercury Playback Engine able to use hardware mode, or software only?

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 1:44:07 pm

First, using youtube 1080p HD preset DID increase/keep my encode time the same as my custom settings.

Second, I AM using CC 2015, and it DOES give you the choice of setting minimum and maximum bitrates in h264.

Third, everybody who knows me here knows my pathetic "workstation", a consumer PC with an integrated Intel 4600 HD graphics card. For some reason, this does allow me to use Mercury Playback Engine hardware mode.

As an aside, while encoding my latest video, which is only 35 seconds, encoding went smoothly, but hung up for a few minutes over one scene which was completely static. My son wanted to recreate the Meathead Rob Lowe Directv commercial. The part where it shows just a picture on the wall, no movement at all, took a few minutes to encode, whereas the rest of the video flew by. Weird.

And, just to get you up to speed I'm a complete amateur who makes little comedy videos for my own amusement, and the 8 other people who stumble upon them. I have no deadlines, no Hollywood directors pacing behind me while I work. Whenever I post here it's usually to ask about oddities like this one, a 5 minute video taking 3 hours to render. Not being snarky, just saving you the trouble of suggesting $2,000.00 fixes and such that I can't afford, and don't "need".

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 3:05:48 pm

Thanks for "saving me the trouble".

Good luck.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 5:18:42 pm

I don't think you got my point. I'm not being an ass. There are guys here who help me all the time but they forget I'm just a nobody doing nothing videos and will suggest I get components costing a few thousand bucks, or they'll tell me to do stuff my computer is not capable of, so I was just reminding them, and you, not to bother with those suggestions. I'm sure you have more pressing things to deal with than giving me advice I can't take.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 28, 2016 at 3:44:51 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on May 28, 2016 at 3:50:19 pm

i wouldn't do this for this project because its already done, but I did re-read your posts and you have mp4 video ingested and scaled, and variable h.264. 3 big things that slow down renders. you don't HAVE to do variable bitrate encoding.

The next project you do, try transcoding via adobe Prelude all your video to a smart codec like DnxHD, then adobe won't have to decompress, recompress anything.

Make sure your cuda is turned on for scaling, and heck, even try exporting DnxHD or HQ and use handbrake to do final encode to h.264(with youtube's recommended specs of course) constant framerate, bitrate as listed below for pixel resolution.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

how to setup smart rendering
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/10/11/smart-rendering-in-premiere-...

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 5:25:05 pm

Hey Chris. Man, nothing is as frustrating as being given advice that I've already tried, to no effect. I have, in fact, been transcoding my .mov footage to DNxHD in Prelude, and all that other stuff (except for handbrake. Is that better than AME?)

At most I might see a 5 minute difference in a 45 minute encode. I am enjoying, however, learning Prelude. There's one thing about it that bugs me. Why did they set it up that you hit the "1" for in points, and "O" for out points? Why not "letter I" and "letter O" or "number 1" and "number zero"? Kind of stupid.

I will check out your link on smart rendering. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 28, 2016 at 6:53:56 pm

IDK about prelude, i never use it.
But by default the in-out in most NLE is "I" and "O".
So most likely that you or someone else unknowingly was changing the keyboard shortcut.

Also, no generalization how certain project took long render whilst others is not.

For instance, i have 5 min project right now that took 3.5 hours to render, because it deals with footage that need to be conformed (scaling, fps) by premiere to the sequence setting.

That's because i turn on the option to Use Maximum render, so it gives better scaling for the footage that needs to be scaled up.

Many things affect how long a render took, dynamic link with AE for instance, video effects, lumetri, etc.
In your case it deals with more that that i believe, you've said :
my greenscreen was transcoded to DNxHD and those other f/x (dancing girls, helicopter, crazy guy) were downloaded from youtube so they were mp4, low quality at that.

Keying out greenscreen is processor intensive work. Also i'm assuming you/premiere need to scaled-up/conform some footage. On top of that, you said you use lumetri. All of this is adding up to render time.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 9:11:02 pm

Your English was perfectly understandable. Yes, Oki, I did do all of those things on the 5 minute video, including scaling the green screen clips. Did not do any dynamic linking to AE, it doesn't seem to behave lately.

Only thing I disagree on:
"But by default the in-out in most NLE is "I" and "O".
So most likely that you or someone else unknowingly was changing the keyboard shortcut. "

I checked a quick tutorial on Prelude at the Adobe site and the guy in the video specifically stated use (number) 1 for in point and (letter) O for out point. No finagling of keyboard shortcuts here, I can tell you that ;-)

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Three hours to encode this 5 minute video. Is that to be expected?
by on May 28, 2016 at 9:05:46 pm

[Duke Sweden] "Mercury Playback Engine hardware mode"

You could try turning that off.

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 9:12:04 pm

I've tried, and I've read many other comments on adobe's forum of people being told to do that, with no effect in speed. Thanks, Tero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]