ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

What is rendering? Is it necessary to render the work area?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matteo BadinWhat is rendering? Is it necessary to render the work area?
by on May 26, 2016 at 3:00:13 pm

Hello everyone, newbie here. I found out that as I press the enter key while I'm working in Premiere Pro CS5, it "renders" my footage. I'd like to know what rendering is and, above all, do I need to "render the work area" before exporting my project on DVD? My footage isn't so short, so the rendering will last hours.

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: What is rendering? Is it necessary to render the work area?
by on May 26, 2016 at 4:19:08 pm

If you're getting smooth playback without rendering then you probably don't need to.

If you're getting choppy playback when f/x are applied and or a client is watching
you want it smooth...so you render.

If you have a feature length movie and have difficulty getting it exported
in a timely manor, then you can set the sequence for example to use the prores (mac only)
codec and render sections until the entire sequence is rendered, then do an export
very quickly by selecting "use render files."

Return to posts index

Matteo BadinRe: What is rendering? Is it necessary to render the work area?
by on May 27, 2016 at 1:46:30 pm

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: What is rendering? Is it necessary to render the work area?
by on May 26, 2016 at 4:20:23 pm

Hi....

when you assemble material together on a timeline, and any kind of effect is used or images are somehow layered....

the computer will attempt assemble and play back the material as close to as real time as pssoible.

Sometimes the material, as you have it arranged to layered is too complex for the computer to assemble on the fly...

rendering takes the area and calculates a single movie that it keeps on disk. Assuming no changes are made to the area in question, the the computer goes to play back that area....it will use the single "rendered" (already calculated clip...which it knows where it's stored, butyou don't see on the timleine) as opposed to trying to put it all together at time of playback.

Is it necessary...? Really depends on the complexity of what you are doing and whether the computer can assemble it in real time smoothly or not (at the resultion of playback you are requesting).

PPro tries to anticipate and clue you in by placing different color bars over areas of the timeline to indicate how well it might do at playing it back.

The meaning of these changed a bit over time and I can't remember back to CS5 what they were.

But this should give a general idea of what's going on.

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: What is rendering? Is it necessary to render the work area?
by on May 26, 2016 at 4:34:08 pm

to my knowledge:

yellow stripe = it might play it smooth

red stripe = will probably not play smooth

green stripe = will absolutely play smooth

Return to posts index

Matteo BadinRe: What is rendering? Is it necessary to render the work area?
by on May 27, 2016 at 1:43:45 pm

Thank you so much! Read this and finally understood!

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: What is rendering? Is it necessary to render the work area?
by on May 27, 2016 at 4:26:41 pm

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars/

I very rarely EVER render anything in the timeline. Even clips with red above usually play smooth for me, so I complete my edits and then Export to format of choice.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]