ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Need advice with broadcast specs for exporting a animated series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris RozarioNeed advice with broadcast specs for exporting a animated series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by on May 26, 2016 at 5:31:27 am

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so sorry if it seems all over the place a bit.

I am currently working with a company trying to get an animated series to be aired on primetime TV in India. We dont have any experience with broadcast and my experience is limited to my knowledge as an editor. Theses are screen shots of the specs needed by the broadcasters.

We have sent two samples for QC testing but both have been rejected. The latest one came with this note.
"Reject, HD 50i, 16:9 FF, ES/ES, no pre-roll time, no slate, no M&E, low audio level (audio peak -19db, loudness level -38LKFS)"

Can someone please explain what I should do in premiere to get these settings fixed and also please explain what M & E means as i thought it was Music and Effects on a separate track.

I had put the output as a multichannel with
Ch 1 - English(L)(narration)(Stereo)
Ch 2 - English(R)(narration)(Stereo)
Ch 3 - Music and Effects(L)(W/O narration)(Stereo)
Ch 4 - Music and Effects(R)(W/O narration)(Stereo)

Also can someone help me with regards to how to get the audio to meet loudness regulations. I attempted to use the audio normaliser that comes in CC to get it to -24LKFS during export but it kept giving an error that i cant put two stereos as the number of tracks available is 32. But I only set 4 tracks as active.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Christopher

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Need advice with broadcast specs for exporting a animated series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by on May 27, 2016 at 12:56:13 am

Do yourself a favor and hire an online/finishing editor. The skills needed to make a show meet broadcast specs is a profession in and of itself. Audio too...audio mixing to meet specs is another profession. This really isn't something we can answer in a post. This is stuff I was taught on the job over the course of weeks.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris RozarioRe: Need advice with broadcast specs for exporting a animated series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by on May 27, 2016 at 8:07:34 am

Hello Mr Shane,

Unfortunately we are facing a time and budget constraint so I am unable to get any more resources. I would really appreciate if someone can give me some suggestions as to how I can conform to the specs in the sheet. I apologize but I am unfortunately hard pressed for resources so I need to do it myself.

Thanking You
Christopher D Rozario

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Need advice with broadcast specs for exporting a animated series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by on May 27, 2016 at 5:15:54 pm

[Chris Rozario] "
We have sent two samples for QC testing but both have been rejected. "

QT DNxHD? or ProRes? XDCAM? Just curious

[Chris Rozario] " The latest one came with this note.
"Reject, HD 50i, 16:9 FF, ES/ES,"

OK, as an online editor, I'm confused by this. 50i is 25 interlaced. 16:9 FF (Full Frame)...and no idea was ES/ES is. Maybe this is saying "the 50i, 16:9 full frame ES/ES video you sent lacks this stuff."

[Chris Rozario] "no pre-roll time, no slate, "

Yes..stuff for broadcast requires that you have 1:00 to 2:00 before picture start. The QT can't start at hour 1. PRE ROLL is required, as the spec lays out.

The file needs to start at 59:00:00 and start with COLOR BARS for :30. So from 59:00:00 to 59:30:00 you need to have Color Bars and audio tone. Tone to be -20dB. Then black (nothing) for :10...from 59:30:00 to 59:40:00. Then a slate filled with all the program information they are requesting from 59:40:00 to 59:50:00. Then black for :10...then picture start at 1:00:00:00.

[Chris Rozario] " no M&E"

M&E is, as you say, Music and Effects ONLY. They use this so they can dub the voices in other languages. This is something one usually gets from the audio mixer, but i've had to do this my self too. I simply mute the tracks with language (voice, VO) and export a stereo AIFF or WAV, and then reimport and put that on CH 3 & 4. I also export a stereo AIFF or WAV of the full movie to put onto CH 1 & 2. I don't just output with all of my audio as I edited. I prep the output.

[Chris Rozario] "low audio level (audio peak -19db, loudness level -38LKFS)""

This is where you need a professional audio mixer. Someone skilled with audio mixing, and meeting broadcast spec. Or you need to get training in this. I'll admit that audio is my weakness, even though I do full temp audio passes, I don't have the know-how nor now how to use the tools to get audio to meet spec. When I have done final outputs on my own, it's been for promo work, and the audio given to me was already mixed to proper levels. You can't just slap a normalizer on this and call it a day, this needs to be done manually...just like editing. Clip by clip, as you go down the timeline.

[Chris Rozario] "
Unfortunately we are facing a time and budget constraint so I am unable to get any more resources."

Now, I don't mean to sound snippy or mean here...because this isn't your fault. But this is something that often happens to companies when they produce one kind of video, and then are asked to produce another, and have no experience in that area. The company doesn't know what the requirements for Broadcast are...so they didn't budget accordingly...not time nor money. And they should have done research beforehand to know what was needed. This is one reason why TV and FILM budgets are higher than other budgets...because the requirements for them call for more time and more expertise to be applied. Online editors who know how to read a specification sheet and deliver what is required to meed broadcast spec. An audio mixer experienced with mixing for broadcast and who knows how to meet those needs.

Also looks like you are missing a 5.1 dolby and down mix that the output specs require. Tracks 5-12

These are skills that take a while to master...and no advice I give you today will get you to the point where you can meet spec. You also need to make sure that the highlights don't go above 100 IRE and blacks don't go below 0 IRE. Chroma can't go above 700mV, depending on the network (colors can't be too saturated) That is also something that's done on a clip by clip basis, as well as tools employed to make sure nothing sneaks above or below.

If you've never done this before, and you have no one there to provide on site guidance...you might not be able to meet these specs. It's not your fault...you haven't been trained to do this. The company is the one that shoulders the most blame, for not looking into what was required, and making sure they took steps...and added the time and money needed...to ensure they meet the requirements.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Need advice with broadcast specs for exporting a animated series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by on May 27, 2016 at 6:19:31 pm

[Shane Ross] "Also looks like you are missing a 5.1 dolby and down mix that the output specs require. Tracks 5-12
"

They are in the specs but they aren't probably required. It's just there if the program in question actually has 5.1 track made. I mastered one animation series for all kinds of channels around the world. A lot of the specs requested an M&E track but we didn't deliver that because there wasn't any dialog in the series. You just need to let the techs on the channels end to know what to expect.

Return to posts index

Chris RozarioRe: Need advice with broadcast specs for exporting a animated series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by on May 28, 2016 at 9:45:51 am

Yes they didn't seem to have any issues with the fact I only sent 4 channels, it is just the volume and track assignment that I have to nail down.

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 9:42:24 am

Hi Shane,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes I have taken down notes on your suggestions and having done some reading up; i'll try to do the output again with the steps suggested. Hopefully I can whittle down the issues and get this done before our deadline expires.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out. I shall surely send you a link if we do manage to get it through to broadcast.

Have a great day Cheers.

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2016 at 9:44:37 am

Oh and it is in OP1a MXF with XDCAM HD 50Mbps. Just to answer the first query.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]