ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Rendering 2048x1152 with Lossless PCM audio - what codec?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miles SkarinRendering 2048x1152 with Lossless PCM audio - what codec?
by on May 25, 2016 at 2:53:56 pm

Hi, due to YouTube's encoder badly compressing my last file, I need to re-render a file at 2048x1152 to get better quality. The client also needs the file to have uncompressed PCM audio.

I'm on a PC and ideally need a small file size for a 5 minute video to sent via FTP so the client can upload to YouTube.

I have a macbook that I'm rendering a ProRes 422 mov on, but this will be around 6GB, too big to FTP quickly. I'm also trying AeMpeg with After Effects but the output file is astronomical.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know how best I should go about this. We're on a release deadline here too so it would be really appreciated if anyone could help on this.

I also read about 'muxing' audio. Would I be able to add/re-pack uncompressed audio to H264 or a similar codec? The client requests

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering 2048x1152 with Lossless PCM audio - what codec?
by on May 25, 2016 at 6:33:48 pm

I haven't done the arithmetic, but I'll guess this is 16x9 video.

You should know that almost every encoding scheme for the web relies on STANDARD RESOLUTIONS. 1280x720... 1920x1080.

But 2048x1152? Nope. If your client insisted on these screwy dimensions, that's something you'll have to explain to the client.

Do yourself a favor: make it 1920x1080 before you use Adobe Media encoder. You can do it in After Effects if you have to. Then use the Youtube preset in AME. Show the client the difference.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Miles SkarinRe: Rendering 2048x1152 with Lossless PCM audio - what codec?
by on May 25, 2016 at 6:54:19 pm

Thanks for your response but I think you missed the point (or maybe my question wasn't clear enough)

We went with ProRes on mac in the end and all was fine.

Since I found that ProRes allows for both custom resolutions and uncompressed audio on Mac, we used a Macbook for rendering the final output file which was ProRes 422 @2048x1152. Not ideal when our main rendering machines are PC.

I am rendering at 2048x1152 as when I exported a H264/AAC at this resolution, a 1.5GB file, we had a much better result with YouTube's encoding. This was compared to an Avid DNxHD 175 MOV @1920x1080. You can read online about how uploading a slightly higher resolution file to YouTube grants a higher bitrate when it encodes for web.

DNxHD limits output to the resolutions it provides, so I could not render a DNxHD version at 2048x1152 to give me the better bitrate on YouTube.

H264, while giving the custom resolution and smaller file size (albeit a compressed file format) does not support uncompressed audio inside of Media Encoder. However, according to some online guides there are ways of doing this with FFmpeg.

ProRes allows custom resolutions and uncompressed audio in a manageable file size but this is not available easily on a PC.

To be clear, the issue with YouTube's encoding is most apparent when rendering videos with lots of small moving details (particle fx etc)

By increasing the resolution to 2048x1152, YouTube's encoder treats the file as 2K and grants a higher bitrate and solves the problem but still outputs a 1080p file to the web. So the client has no wacky sizes that they want and this is just a way of fooling YouTube into producing a better quality output at 1080p. The difference is staggering.

Problem solved. I guess it's just not possible on PC to do all of these things but if anyone has a solution, feel free to let me know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]