ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

I'm having trouble setting up and outputting broadcast audio correctly

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David NestelleI'm having trouble setting up and outputting broadcast audio correctly
by on May 25, 2016 at 2:06:17 pm

A job I recently got was supposed to be just as social media output, but then they decided they wanted it for broadcast as well. They sent me the specs for French broadcast: 1920x1080 Prores 422HQ, 25 frames per second, EBU R128 all pretty easy but its this part that I can't get right. They sent this below:
----
There is no secondary language so only channel 7 and 8 are useful.

So they can deliver ProRes with 8 audio channels (mono). Channel 7 is audio left Total and channel 8 is audio right total.
----

This is what I did, am I correct on this:

1. New sequence multiplex, clicked the + tracks and added all eight. Tracks 1-6 output assignments are off, audio 7 &* output assignments are 7&8 pan left on 7 pan right on 8.

2. I set Modify audio channels on footage to mono 2 audio clips.

3. Turned off mapping on first 6 mapped 7&8 to pan left and pan right.

4. The footage and audio looked like this on the timeline.

5. Exported the file with these settings in media encoder.

6. Once it was done,I opened it in Quicktime and set track 7 to left total and 8 to right total.

Does this look correct considering the Specs? I sent them one version that they didn't except, they said this "The Prores version received had an issue because all 8 audio channels was multiplexed into one audio track instead of 8." I don't have any experience delivering Broadcast and its really confusing. I would be grateful for any help. Thank you.

~David

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: I'm having trouble setting up and outputting broadcast audio correctly
by on May 25, 2016 at 4:28:03 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on May 25, 2016 at 4:29:49 pm

that looks correct to me, although it appears maybe that 1-6 are not assigned in the mixer.

When you import that file into premiere are you getting all 8 tracks
with audio only on 7 & 8?

They make it sound like if you imported you would only see wave forms in one of the tracks.

I don't believe the last step in quicktime was necessary.

I always check my exports by re-importing them in premiere...there is a bug in cc 2015.2
where if you do what you did with but with surround stems, the first channel has all
the audio multiplexed and the remaining channels are completely empty! But it looks like
you might be on CC 2014 or earlier because your Audio Channel Config tab doesn't have the
"Export as seperate files" check box, which is a work around to this bug. This is not
part of your issue, just thought I'd add it in for anyone else reading.

Return to posts index

David NestelleRe: I'm having trouble setting up and outputting broadcast audio correctly
by on May 25, 2016 at 4:54:54 pm

So when I import it back in it looks like this.

Its interesting, you mentioned multiplexed. When I sent in my first version, they replied with this.

We have 8 audio tracks but multiplexed into one audio track, our ingest system Mediator can’t manage it.

do you understand what might have happened here?
Also I'm on 2015.2 CC release on Mac.

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: I'm having trouble setting up and outputting broadcast audio correctly
by on May 25, 2016 at 7:57:48 pm

Your export settings to media encoder are set to one stream. If you need it to go to all 8 channels, you need to hit the + and add the other 6 channels into the export preset.

Do they actually need 8 channels or could you just export channels 7 & 8 as a stereo pair?

If you do need channels 1-6, you need to assign them and pan them like you did to 7 & 8 before exporting.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

David NestelleRe: I'm having trouble setting up and outputting broadcast audio correctly
by on May 25, 2016 at 8:50:02 pm

So it would be 1: 1&2 left, 2: 1&2 Right, 3: 3&4 left, 4: 3&4 right, 5: 5&6 left, 6: 5&6 right...

I'm not sure about the stereo pair they said "So they can deliver ProRes with 8 audio channels (mono). Channel 7 is audio left Total and channel 8 is audio right total. "

Doesn't that seem like they are asking for 8 channels?

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: I'm having trouble setting up and outputting broadcast audio correctly
by on May 26, 2016 at 12:37:55 am
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on May 26, 2016 at 12:39:35 am

Andy, on his last screen shot he brought in the exported file
and it's showing how they want with empty stems save for the last two.
and though the stream is set for 1, it is for 8 independent channels...the + to add more is
not an option in that configuration.

David, this looks good to me...I wonder if that last thing you did in quicktime
is somehow summing the two together. when you play it are both meters registering
identical peaks or are they bouncing independently up and down when playing back
like a stereo file should?

also that bit about exporting as separate files check box (my mistake) only
comes up if you export audio only. It will not show when exporting quicktime.
(I do that for DCP encoding)

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2016 at 4:29:16 am

Looks like they are bouncing independently. Not by much, but they are different. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes!

~David

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: I'm having trouble setting up and outputting broadcast audio correctly
by on May 26, 2016 at 10:02:04 pm

Thanks for the info Chris. Strange thing to me is why they want 8 channels with 1-6 channels completely empty. What device plays that out when only 2 channels of actual source audio is needed on channels 7 & 8. Multichannel, 5,1, mono stereo, Adobe is getting better with making audio options for many workflows, but it's still not simple drag and drop.

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2016 at 8:18:27 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on May 27, 2016 at 8:19:14 pm

Typically it has to do with layouts for foreign language releases.

They want them there but empty if a surround sound version is made
with isolated nat sound / dialogue / music etc...

Makes little sense to me (for a stereo deliverable) but was told that from a person that
worked at an asian broadcast facility.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]